Power outages

ClownKeeper

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. Its been a while since I last posted. I just started a new job that pays pretty well and I think I'm going to start a nano tank of about 12 gallons, or depending on how well I can save maybe 24 gallons like one of the biocubes or aquapods. My problem is, though it does'nt happen often, at least once a year usually during a summer storm our power blacks out for a few hours. Is there anything I could do to keep my tank from taking a dive without buying a generator?

Sure...you could purchase a back-up pump...they run off batteries...try the drs website. Jmo...your tank will be ok for a few hrs w/o power, you could manually make ripples in the water every few mins also.

Light is not an issue, as everything in your tank will be fine for several days in the dark. What you need to be concerned about is temperature and water movement. Like others said, you can buy battery powered pumps to move the water around. Temperature is usually okay because it takes a while for it to change in water (although it is more of a problem in small tanks).

On a small tank like yours,you can use one of the battery operated bait bucket air pumps.I think the last one I bought was right at 10 bucks and runs about 12 hours off 2 D size batteries.

The quesiton depends on whether you want an automated alternate power source and thjis would be very expensive. Here's something cheap and simple:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Power-Inverter-Cupholder-Style/dp/B000O3S0QY]Amazon.com: Auto Power Inverter 100W Cupholder Style: Electronics[/ame]

One other bit of advice: If you put your new tank somewhere where it gets very warm in the summer, it may overheat and you will have to spend money on a chiller or A/C. Consider putting it someplace cool with no direct sunlight.

Back