Powerhead in SUMP?

jupiler

Reefing newb
Can anyone tell me if it is ok to put my powerhead filter into the SUMP rather than my display tank? I just installed the sump a few weeks ago and my aquarium looks WAY nicer now that it isn't so cluttered, if I can manage to get the powerhead out of here then I would only have the overflow box and it would look really nice. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :o)

No, you need the powerhead(s) in the main tank to create flow in the main tank. You can't move them into the sump or else there won't be enough flow in the tank.

Thanks for the quick reply!

You mentioned powerhead(s). I have a 40 gallon tank, should I have more than 1? I currently have an Emperor 280.

An Emperor 280 is not a powerhead. It's a filter. A powerhead is different from a filter. A powerhead does not filter the water, it just moves it around. It's basically a little pump.

You can move the Emperor into the sump, but you should have at least 2 powerheads in the main tank. I recommend MaxiJets for their price and reliability, but if you don't mind spending some $$$, you should look into the Koralia's.

without proper flow in your tank (from powerheads), fish and coral do not get the current they need to be healthy, poor oxygen transfer in your tank, chance for dead-spots which could breed cyanobacteria, and filtration is not effective. Add two powerheads in your tank, facing each other on opposite ends of the tank, which the adjustable face pointing upwards to make ripples in the water. Maxi-jets are just fine.

-Doc

I would grab a pair of maxi 9s and get the sure flow mod for them. If you are going to have to use powerheads in the display you might as well get the most bang for your buck. The maxis should run about 30 a piece and the mod kit should be about 15ish. They will flow about 2100 gph a piece.

I would grab a pair of maxi 9s and get the sure flow mod for them. If you are going to have to use powerheads in the display you might as well get the most bang for your buck. The maxis should run about 30 a piece and the mod kit should be about 15ish. They will flow about 2100 gph a piece.

wow, where are you buying maxis for 30 a piece? i got my maxi 9's for like, $15

but if you don't mind spending some $$$, you should look into the Koralia's.

Why do a lot of people like the koralis's so much? Just good and reliable? I almost like the seios more because of their ceramic shaft. Tell me what i dont know.

I purchased the Koralia #2 based on Biffer's recommendation (just over $30 on-line, after shipping). What I found was it is very quiet (can't hear it at all), and seems small compared to other vendors. The unit is also very secure in the tank due to the magnetic mounting they use. I'm very happy with the results.

I purchased the Koralia #2 based on Biffer's recommendation (just over $30 on-line, after shipping). What I found was it is very quiet (can't hear it at all), and seems small compared to other vendors. The unit is also very secure in the tank due to the magnetic mounting they use. I'm very happy with the results.

Same here.Only I'm running 2 of the #4s, and 2-#3s in my 75.
If the sands on the bottom,you dont have to much flow.:mrgreen:

Why do a lot of people like the koralis's so much? Just good and reliable? I almost like the seios more because of their ceramic shaft. Tell me what i dont know.

most people like them because of the magnetic mounting feature, so none of the irritating suction cups that erode over time. Also, they give a broad spray of current as opposed to the more directed flow from the MJ

-Doc

If you must use power heads they are what I would recommend. Good product for a good price. No longer on the new fad list yet still holding favor by a lot of people.

lol, i have a #4 in my lil 10g.... seems to have enough flow. i think i may need a few more? what do u guys think? btw the magnet is awesome

Back