Powerhead Placement

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Where is the best place to put your powerheads? Should they be facing each other at the same or different levels? I have 4 in my 120 and I'm trying to figure out how to know if they're low or high enough?

I have two on the back glass facing forward and near the surface to ripple the surface.The other two is on the side about half way underwater.You're just going to have to move them around to find the best flow for the corals you have.

Last edited:
Sure Piggy. I have 6 Koralia's in my tank, and I have all of mine at the surface of the water. One on each side, and four along the back.

I have 1 powerhead at each end of the tank at the surface and one on each end about half way down. You will probably change them around based on your corals and dead spots.

Do I need them pointing up to the surface seeing I have the two corner overflows? Right now I have one on each sides about a third way down. One pointing to the back glass the other one pointed toward front glass. The other two are on the back about half way down. Facing front. I noticed that there is loose stuff on the sand. How do you get it air born without stirring up the sand?

You dont have to keep both heads pointed at the surface.All you need there is a gentle ripple.Just the return can supply you with that.
Getting enough low to keep waste off the bottom is pain.You basically have to get enough flow to move the sand then play with it untill you get the sand on the bottom and the waste in the water.

just make sure you have some rippling on the surface to get good oxygen transfer for your fishies. I have 3 in my 90 and all point upward. they are placed near the top. they do face each other to make a nice whirlwind of current in the tank.

-Doc

Back