Powerhead placement

TiffyB

Reefing newb
I got a cheap powerhead (yes I know I'll regret it) that suctions to the walls. It's falling off ALL the time so in order to keep it from falling in the sand and blowing sand everywhere I have it on the back panel blowing towards the front panel. It seems like it's pushing everywhere, is there any issues with having it on the back side instead of the left or right side?

As long as you are not getting any "dead spots" then it really doesnt matter where you put your powerheads. I have placed them on every wall in the tank trying to find what was best for my tank. Just because it does or does not work for one person doesn't mean its the same for all. You just need to find that sweet spot and leave it.

Also it might not be a bad idea to look into the koralia powerheads, the magnet mount is SO much better than dealing with those crappy suction cups.

Good Luck

I was thinking about buying some magnets and gluing them to the powerhead. I still have some research on what sort of glue to use etc. but I think that's what I"ll end up doing.

super glue gel is reef safe, also ecotech marine makes a glue that is super strong. just make sure that the magnets are not exposed to the water.

The Koralia's are wrapped in a rubber that keeps the saltwater off of them. I guess you could try coating them in silicone, but I don't know how well that would work. By the time you buy the magnets, and come up with some sort of DIY sleeve for them, you're probably not really saving any money over buying a Koralia

Back