Powerhead Positioning

orzeljo609

Reefing newb
Hey Gang,

So I have an odd question. Im running a 30 gallon BioCube and figured its probably time to get something more powerful than the stock powerhead that it came with. Ordered a Koralia 2 (600gph) but I am kinda stumped on where I should put it. Should I put it pointing towards my filter intake or away. What do you guys think?

Anywhere you put it,I think it will cause at least a little bit of ripple on the water surface.
Just try to position it so that you dont have any dead spots.You'll have to play around with it until you get it where you like it.

+1 everyone -- your goal should be to have water movement at all levels....I would suggest putting it maybe mid-level, and playing with the aim. It should be just enough so it ripples the suface, but at the same time, doesn't cause bald spots on your tank (although mine puts a bald spot on my tank, and I haven't bothered messing with the angles because i like the flow.....bald spot be damned!)

Have you thought about putting in 2 K1's instead? That way you can put them on opposite sides of the tank and can get a bit of an erratic flow.

Also, I have noticed that it is better to reflect the flow off the rockwork or tank glass.

Back