Powerhead question for newbie

I'd wait till after, I'd also do some reading on them, they take some care but it's relatively simple such as spraying the leaves to remove salt residue.

Mangroves can be cool. No rock should be on the glass, you can epoxy them together and make a nice base or you can for dome smaller pieces around PVC for some structural support. You can also add rock all at once, there's no need to wait, but you can if you want.

You guys got me a bit anxious so i moved the existing rock into a more circular patter with some bridges in the middle of the tank. None of it is touching any glass anymore. Tommorow I was planning on going to the fish place to purchase a few more pieces of rock. Any other suggestions as to purchases? I have the test kit coming and another powerhead (should be here in 2-3 days). BTW. Snails and hermit crabs are still alive and I added a shrimp to help the process (dead shrimp from the grocery store).

Dont be anxious, just learn from our mistakes :) I am not a big fan of doing epoxy. If you ever decide to move it around its sort of a pain to take apart and redo. With me I just start playing around and putting rocks together in a pretty stable formation. Dont make a "wall" of rock anywhere because fishes love to swim in and out and e the rocks as cover, so try to make some caves. When I buy rock I look for irregular pieces, because it makes for a cool shape. Another problem with rock touching the glass is that you cant ever clean behind it and if you have a water issue that causes algae your stuck with it unless you move it.

You have your test kit coming and you are in the middle of your cycle now, so with the powerhead in there and another coming I would say that you are doing well with where you are at now. Keep posting pictures!!

I purchased another 4 lb live rock today, a solarmax HO lighting head and got my test kit. I checked the water and my PH is perfect while amononia and nitrites are still .25. So it appears to be cycling. I was told by a few that the solarmax is good to start and will be able to maintain amons...

If you are new to the hobby, which sounds like you are i would hold off for at least 6 months before getting a nem. The rock you are putting in looks like dry/base rock and provides 0 filtration for your current set up. You can have all the fancy gizmos and gadgets, but this hobby takes a long time to start up and then you have big leaps and bounds. You stand a 90% chance of the nem dying if you rush it.

One of the rocks was a base rock given to me by someone who previously had a tank...the rest are live rock purchased from two different LFS. Im not rushing into an anom...believe me..I dont want to waste money or have the thing die for a stupid reason...but I still cant wait for the day when I can get one...they are cool. Im planning on adding a fish next week if my levels are good. The anom is the last thing I plan on adding and that wouldnt be for monthes....

Here is a pic of it now...

Attachments

• tank week 1.jpg
    tank week 1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 225
Was actually looking in that forum for hexs with not much results...other then the dude who had tangs (which i was told was a huge no no for my tank)....with this particular tank I dont plan on being overly fancy. My endgame is some nemos...a dori looking fish (not a tank)...an anom...and maybe some sponges and id be peachy. Tanks too small for anything complex and Im not looking for that. I plan on adding two more large live rocks before I add a fish and my powerheads should be here within 2 days. My readings are good so far...any other fish that you'd suggest? Im thinking a goby and maybe a shrimp at this point....

Was actually looking in that forum for hexs with not much results...other then the dude who had tangs (which i was told was a huge no no for my tank)....with this particulat tank I dont plan on being overly fancy. My endgame is some nemos...a dori looking fish (not a tank)...an anom...and maybe some sponges and id be peachy. Tanks too small for anything complex and Im not looking for that. I plan on adding two more large live rocks before I add a fish and my powerheads should be here within 2 days. My readings are good so far...any other fish that you'd suggest? Im thinking a goby and maybe a shrimp at this point....
Yea, hex tanks don't fit under popular saltwater tanks, but there is a lot of nano tanks on here and you get to know folks and get the answers you want. Your choice.

Back