Powerheads and wavemakers!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
As some of you know, I have a JBJ 28g NanoCube CF, and have given an 'IMHO' review.
(see https://www.livingreefs.com/jbj-28-gallon-nano-cube-cf-t21869.html). I am looking for replacement powerheads for the stock ones (Accela). These are currently running on a Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker. I am looking to buy the Eheim compact powerhead model 1000, 23w, 265 gph. Is there any reason that these won't function properly with a wavemaker? I know some pumps won't run properly as they can't turn on and off that quickly.

Other choices (so far) for me are as follows:
Taam Rio 800, 13W, 211 gph
Quiet One 800, 13.5W, 220 gph

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again!
David

I honestly don't know that you can a powerhead that'd run on a wavemaker for a tank that size.Unless you went the small vortech,but they run close to 400 bucks for the one head and drive unit.
The problem you run into with the typical powerhead,is they tend to kick backwards when they first come on.Makes a loud clicking and wears the pumps out/cracks the housing.
Personally,I'd get a couple of the Koralia K1s or K2s and set them up so that the flow collides in the middle somewhere.

Hmm, thanks Yote. The wavemaker and accela powerheads are stock with this, and seem to run fine. I just wanted to upgrade the powerheads to something a little better, like the Ehiem. But, I think I will lower the frequency of the wavemaker switching, so as to lenghthen the life of the pumps.

I was thinking of getting a Koralia Nano to help move things around behind the rock, on the back wall. I had hoped not to have any pumps in the tank, all hidden, but that may not be possible. The K1 and K2 would be huge in this 28g!

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

I have a Korilla K1 and it doesn't move much. I bought the 2 and now a 3, th three is like a hurricane in my 55. Korilla has a twin out there for reef tanks that is nice, side by side. If you think the Korilla;s are too strong just try the #1, it's not much flow at all.

Back