Powerheads for 180 system

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Looking for recommendations on what kind of powerheads, specifically how high of a rate and how many, I should get for my 180 gallon (eventual) reef tank? This is my first "large" tank so I'm not 100% sure on the powerheads and flow rating I need.

I have my two returns from the sump drilled into the top back of the tank, one on each end so that's already creating some flow and I need to add to that.

I don't know if you wanted to spend the dough, but two Vortech MP40's would be plenty. One on each side, facing each other.
If that's over your budget, look at some of the chinese pumps or some Tunzes or Koralias and shoot for the same amount of flow.

Yes, those are way out of the price range at the moment. The thing is, I see the MP40's put out a range of flow, from 1,000 to 3,200. Where in that range do I need from a powerhead in a 180 gallon tank? I'm thinking of keeping it down to two units and I'd like a variety of corals in the tank so I'd want high flow in places (typically higher in the tank) and lower flow in others. So would maybe 1,000 gph per unit be efficient or should I aim higher?

I think two 1000 gph powerheads are not enough for a 180 tank. I have a koralia 850 gph an a 1150 in mine and it's only a 46g. I'm keeping just LPS and soft corals in my tank.

And I'm not saying you can't get the two 1000, but you probably will need more flow eventually.

I have 2x 1500gph Koralias in my 120. I feel like there is plenty of flow for now. When I start into SPS I will add a 2 more to bring my total to around 5000gph. Are you planning to keep SPS?

I have a 180 gallon and I have six 950 g/hour power heads, with a 1000 g/hour return on my refugium-sump. this would equate to about 6,700 gallons of water movement an hour and the tank works fine with corals (large polyps and small), as well as the softies. My power heads are on timers and do not run continuously so there is an ebb flow in the tank as well. This works well for my set-up and rock arrangement. I didn't buy all power heads at once and only added more as I purchased hard corals, I think I had two for the fish only tank, then four for the softies and then went to six when I started adding the hard corals.

I think you can be somewhat more practical if you start slowly and work your way into corals. cost is a consideration, also remember that power heads add heat and CO2 to your tank as well. So you need to have a good protein skimmer, don't skim on the skimmer. In my 180 I have a skimmer rated for a 380 gallon tank.

Aside from the sand and rock, the skimmer and lighting will be the next two most important things on your list if you are going to house corals. Power heads can be added, I would start with smaller ones so that you can place them in ideal locations to get the most turbulent water movement. Movement is what the corals need more than velocity.

Back