Powerheads

adampw

Reefing newb
Hi,
I just added my live rock to my tank last night and put in 2 power heads. One is a 174gph and the other is 270gph. Hopefully this is sufficient. My question is where to place them. I have the 270 on the left hand side of the tank pushing along the back side of the tank, with the 174 on the right hand side of the tank pushing along the front. Both are placed in the middle (depth wise). I plan on eventually upgrading the 174 to a 270 shortly. Thanks :D

Tank.JPG

I dont know the best place to put the , but I have a 30 gal and thats were I placed mine. Do you have a directional spout on the end of you power heads? With my directionals I pointed them tword the glass but alittle down at the same time . Seems to be working good for me.

bobby said:
I dont know the best place to put the , but I have a 30 gal and thats were I placed mine. Do you have a directional spout on the end of you power heads? With my directionals I pointed them tword the glass but alittle down at the same time . Seems to be working good for me.

my 174 has a directional spout but the bigger one didnt come with for some reason

I dont have a directional on the back right now, my power heads are 369 goh and I think its a little too much it moves some of the sand around at times. I think the 270 when you get another one will work out very nicely for you.

Yeah I was having some problems with sand being blown all over. I changed the direction of the powerheads, and also pointed them towards the tank wall to deflect some of the direct flow. Seems to be helping so far. Now I just need to get my ammonia levels down. I've only had my live rock for about 3 days and the ammonia is through the roof.

Ya thats just the begining of your cycle it will go down on its own, then you will have a spike of nitrites that will also go down on its own, after that its just a game of keeping the nitrates down. lol

Yeah it should be fun. One other question. I noticed my pH was a little low (7.8). Should a pH Buffer be used in this situation, or will it rise naturally?

What brand of salt are you useing? I use IO and the ph was low, so now I add marine buffer and havnt had a prob yet.

I am actually getting ready to mix some up right now. I am using IO as well. However I am using R/O water from culligan (walmart) now...before I was using tap and using a water conditioner to remove the hard metals and what not.

Ya IO is known for low ph and low calcium. I would use marine buffer 8.3, or you can try kent osmo. I havnt used osmo myself but was told its good for reconstituting ro water.

Well I just bought some Seachem Reef buffer so hopefully that works ok....my local pet store doesnt carry osmo so i will have to buy it online...

Mine does'nt either, and thats why I havnt used it yet. Well good luck with the ph and keep us posted.

Back