Predator tank confusion

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I really thought I was gonna turn the new 55 into a lionfish tank....then I saw the triggers. I'm really liking them alot, especially the Huma huma. Can these do well in a 55? I don't plan on doing alot else to this tank, the fish will be the centrepiece. However, I have a leather that is too big in my 46, but may look good in the 55 as I don't plan on having alot of coral. Any input on triggers, or should I just stick with the lionfish?

BTW, I haven't made it over to get the stuff yet, and this guy doesn't seem too well versed in aquaria, seems like he lost interest. Anyways, this is what he's offering me: Hammer Coral, 2 GSP, 2 leathers, yellow umbrella, and about 40lbs of fiji LR, covered in coraline(said he paid 12/lb for it which is common for our area)

The tank looks to be a 55, with a stand, very similar to the 46g bowfront I have, lighting is the same 36" 21w coralife t5, so I will likely run both, and only have 84w to the tank. two maxi powerheads, a biowheel filter, and heater.....all for 100 bucks.

You can keep a small trigger in the 55, but it will eventually outgrow it. Although triggers are not considered reef safe, most won't touch leathers. They should be safe together.

Having more than one trigger in a tank would be touchy, as they are territorial and not exactly docile (usually), but one would get along fine with a lionfish if you wanted both.

I would jump on that deal. The livestock or the live rock alone is worth the $100.

Oh ya, its a done deal, we are just trying to work out when I can go take it down. I may go get the coral tomorrow to get it in my tank quick, he says they aren't happy....lol

I didn't know I could keep a trigger and a lionfish together, I thought the trigger would harass the hell out of the lionfish's fins. That would be ideal if I could keep a lionfish and a huma, and those would be my only fish. that, the rock, the leathers.....cool second tank in my dining room.

yeah I want another tank to hold a Snowflake eel and maybe a Lionfish. I think I want another 46g bow to compliment the other one.

Back