predator tank fish options

hibye

Reef enthusiast
i wana convince my dad in to makin the 125 a predator tank because i never had one before and because my 30 gallon is going great and dont want to disturb it. so what t fish can i put together,

lionfish

longnose hawkfish

porcupine puffer or sddleback puffer

niger triggerfish

snowflake eel

sting ray

A 125 is waaaaaay to small for a sting ray. Not even really enough for a fresh water ray let alone a salty one. The eel might even be cramped in there.

The lionfish, hawkfish, trigger, puffer and small eel would be okay in a 125. But if you were going to buy a trigger for a predator tank, why oh why would you buy a boring old niger trigger????????? There are soooo many awesome looking triggers out there that hardly anyone keeps because they have to be kept in predator tanks! If you want a trigger, at least get a cool looking one!

Keep in mind if you want a predator tank, you will have to have a REALLY good protein skimmer. Predators produce a lot of waste and water quality easily becomes a problem.

o.k so i should get a different triggerfish becuase the niger is reef safe?, and what else are there. money limit 70$ at most.

For protein skimming we are getting a 20 gallon fuge and a aquatraders skimmer or a 125 coralife skimmer if we can find a cheap working one off ebay.and uv steralizer beacuse we dont want to have spant 200 or more on fish and they all die because of ich or somthing, plus i dont want to be sticking my arm into a preadator tank to clean algea or red slime off the rock sand,and glass

I LOVE THE HUMA HUMA TRIGGER, a lot of people say they will actually bark at you when they are hungry. dont know if it is tru or not. But they look awesome. and pretty cheap too

That ray still is too big for a 30 gallon. Keep in mind, with predators like that, you probably won't be able to keep more than 2 or 3 fish in a 30 gallon tank. Predators eat a lot more and produce a lot more waste than other types of fish.

That ray still is too big for a 30 gallon. Keep in mind, with predators like that, you probably won't be able to keep more than 2 or 3 fish in a 30 gallon tank. Predators eat a lot more and produce a lot more waste than other types of fish.

im talking about the 125 gallon not my 30

Even your 125 is too small for a ray. they need big time room, the minimum water listed for that is total crap

A Panther Grouper has great personallity, and a Dragon eel would be happy for two to four years at least, unless you feed him heavily on a daily basis.

i read on liveaquaria that panther groupers need a minimum of 300 gallons
Sorry, but the longest I have ever kept any fish has been only a couple of years. Any fish I have had for a long time I have always been willing to sell when I was offered at least two or three times what I paid for it. I used to keep fish because it seemed to be expected that all people kept fish if they kept a reef. The last fish I have owned was in 1999, and that was a dragon eel. My twice weekly water changes were twice as large with him as they had been without him in a SPS colony/display tank. It was a 180 gallon AGA tank, with one homemade Beckett skimmer, and 200 lbs of live rock. :bounce:

Back