PreDrilled Tank

linbeg

Reefing newb
I bought a used tank from someone and they had the tank drilled on the top. I'm just wondering, how i would set it up into an overflow. Do i just use an elbow pvc? will be enough to act as a overflow? Or is there a better way?

I have a 40 gal that was predrilled near the top and yes I connected an elbow to it with flex hose and it worked great, after a couple years I converted the tank back to freshwater and just turned the elbow a complete 180 so when I filled the tank I could made the waterline to the top of the tank. My guppies would love to go in and out of the hole like a cave.

a overflow box is just there to prevent to much of your water from flowing out incase of a power out. a 90 elbow will do the same thing in a drilled tank if the power goes out it will stop draining because there is no more water being pumped into the tank to let it flow into the drain

you could get a glass-holes overflow which is what i am going to do.
my tank is drilled in the back and i used a $1.00 plastic waste basket i got a a dollar store and cut down to use as a overflow box, but i want to use a bigger return pump and my overflow just keeps up with the one i got now. Also want to get a bigger sump and use the 20l i am using for a sump as a qt tank.

Back