Preparing for a Tang

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I am really excited to be adding my first tang tomorrow (a 2 3/4 inch lemonpeel mimic tang)! :^: I've done a lot of reading on this species and on caring for tangs generally, but want to make sure I haven't missed something in preparing for her arrival. I have nori sheets, veggie clips, rocks to tie nori around in case she doesn't go for the veggie clip, and a specimen cup to move her from the acclimation bucket to the tank. Is there anything else I need right away for her? And as far as feeding the nori, does she need a full sheet per day, or can it be a half/quarter of a sheet? And can I get away with only feeding her once on the weekend since I only feed my other fish every other day and usually try to only come to the office sat or sun (not both)? Thanks!!

You don't need to feed her an algae sheet daily -- sticking to your current feeding schedule will be fine. I'm not sure if she would eat the full sheet herself. I would start with 1/2 a sheet at each feeding and adjust if it disappears right away or if there is some leftover next time you check on it. Your other fish will probably eat it too though -- at least the clowns, chromis and blenny will probably be interested in the algae sheets. Try some Emerald Entree frozen food as well; that's an herbivorous formula that everyone in your tank will enjoy, but will meet the tang's needs for greens.

Thanks, Biff! And emerald entree is already one of the foods I rotate, along with mysis, formula 1, and marine cuisine. Sounds like I'm good to go :D

What section did you order her from ? "Marine Fish" or "Divers Den" ? The fish from Divers Den are usually skiddish from the journey, but usually eat after 1 day or less. IME the fish from the other section tend to take 3 days to a week to eat. I think that is because they are caught & sold alot sooner than the DD fish. If she's not from the DD section, have plenty of "Garlic Gaurd" handy. Good Luck with your new addition!!!

Thanks for the heads up, Chuck! She is a DD fish :D I've got 3 other LA non-DD fish, all of whom are doing great in the tank. They took a bit to really settle in, but all ate within the first day (I'll consider myself lucky!). It wouldn't surprise me if she takes some time to start eating, just given how prone to stress tangs are. Good to know that DD fish settle in more quickly :) I did think about picking up garlic to soak the nori in, but figure I can make a quick run to the store if she isn't eating after a few days. I am so excited to have gotten this fish, usually they are gone immediately from DD!

For some reason, the way you talk about "her", I get the feeling that she should be named "Jen-nay" like in Forrest Gump. :lol: Don't ask me why. That's just how it feels.

I know that's what you meant, but.......Huh? LOL!!! I'm just trying to understand the transition from a fish to Forrests' girlfriend HaHaHa

Last edited:
Oh my! LOL

Her name is going to be Calliope (just the name that's stuck in my mind for a while now for this fish! lol)

And Biff, I'm a girl too (not a him) ;)

Wow, I put her in the tank less than an hour ago, within 20m she started foraging on the rocks, and I've hung a small piece of nori for her and she's already going to town on it. I'm shocked how quickly she's eating and settling in!! And the lights are still off even!

I'll get pics when I turn the lights back on - otherwise my flash will just go off and reflect off the glass right now. A few more hours! Patience is a virtue ;)

Meet Calliope (a.k.a. Jen-nay) :D

She's already chowing on nori and got right in the mix to eat the frozen marine cuisine that I fed everyone a few minutes ago. She's been in the tank less than 3 hours. Totally in love with this fish!

Back