baeya

Aquarium Addict
I have a question about my tanks cycle.
65g standard aquarium
32 lbs. dry rock
40 lbs. live sand

Started the first week of October.
Used fish food to cycle.

I followed the cycle, Ammonia went up, came down as Nitrites went up, came down as Nitrates went up.

I was at the point of Nitrites at .25 and Nitrates at 20 and I did a 15g water change. Two days later I did another 15g water change, this time wiping down the front and two sides with an algae magnet. I also added 4 trochus snails and 2 red reef hermit crabs.
My Ammonia is now .25, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 0.

Is something wrong? Did my wiping down the front and sides cause an Ammonia spike? Where did my Nitrates go??

Check your reading against another kit, im going to guess you used an API kit and they are notorious for giving a low reading of ammonia when there is none.

Yes, you're right. LOL!
I do remember reading that somewhere now that you mentioned it.
Phew! I will pick up another brand tomorrow.
Thank you so much. :)

Also make sure you dont use windex, and if you do be very careful with it(spray the cloth not the glass) . Its basically pretty blue ammonia.

That is if you dont have a screwy test :)

Also make sure you dont use windex, and if you do be very careful with it(spray the cloth not the glass) . Its basically pretty blue ammonia.

That is if you dont have a screwy test :)

No windex here!! Don't do windows or dishes or anyone elses laundry.....you get the idea! LOL!
I just must have had a brain fart......the damn test really never did go to zero. Must be the brain is starting to go at 53....geesh!

I do have another question, though....
When I make my RO/DI water.....I've been putting in a 32 gallon Brute barrel. Heating and aerating it until it gets to temperature, then adding salt and more air for 24 hours before use. My question is; do I keep the air on until I use the water or turn it off and just leave heat on??

Back