Problem with my blue/regal tang

Mizz

Reefing newb
Hi there I wonder if anyone can advise me:

I added a regal/blue tang to my setup 2 weeks ago and since then everything has been fine with the levels, other fish, the new fish etc.
Last night he was swimming fine when the lights went off. About an hour later I passed by the tank and noticed he was positioned behind the powerhead. He has done this a lot at night, however, this time, his colour was very pale. I decided to investigate and put the lights back on. I used the net to gently ease him from behind the powerhead and he just sunk to the bottom and was floping around on his side looking very unwell.
I quickly checked all the levels and everything was spot on except the KH was quite high.
I then did a 10% water change very quickly in case the KH was affecting him (is this likely?) by this point I was very panicked, I rechecked all the levels and everything was fine. Ammonia - nil, Nitrite - nil, nitrate - low, PH - 8.3, salinity - 1.021, temp - 25degrees. yet the KH was still high (though not as high)
By this point the colour had returned to the fish and he was hiding inside a barnicle shell so I couldnt see how he was swimming.

I decided to go to bed and see what happens over night and this morning he is swimming aroung and feeding happy as larry. So I am wondering what happened last night. Does anyone have any ideas?? Was it possibly the KH affecting him or was he even in a reallllly deep sleep lol?

I am fairly new at this and trying to learn as much as I can so would appreciate your thoughts =]

Many thanks
Mizz

I've seen Blue Regals do that.Its like it shocks them when the lights come on.They tend to "sleep" pretty sound at times.

You have a regal tang in an 80 liter tank. That's 20 gallons. Regal tangs need at least 100 gallons (378 liters).

A regal tang will not be healthy in a tank that size. They have very high metabolisms and need to swim constantly. Your 80 liter tank doesn't give it nearly enough space to move around.

Please return the fish to the store and research your future purchases' needs before buying them. I really don't think that fish will be healthy in your tank.

Last edited:
You have a regal tang in an 80 liter tank. That's 20 gallons. Regal tangs need at least 100 gallons (378 liters).

A regal tang will not be healthy in a tank that size. They have very high metabolisms and need to swim constantly. Your 80 liter tank doesn't give it nearly enough space to move around.

Please return the fish to the store and research your future purchases' needs before buying them. I really don't think that fish will be healthy in your tank.

The tang is only in this tank while he is small and will be moved to a bigger tank as I upgrade in the next few months. At present he is about 1.5 inches and my LFS assured me this is fine for the next few months.

If he doesn't die from the stress first.

That tank is too small for any size blue tang. Have you considered that your LFS saw this as an opportunity to make some money off of you? Unfortunately, they are running a business, and some people are not as honest as they should be when it comes to making a sale. Perhaps they were expecting you to go back and buy another one from them when this tang dies. Then they would get twice as much money out of you.

They sold you the wrong fish for your size tank, regardless of how long it was going to be in your 20 gallon. They know this. You can believe us or not, but we are not standing to make some money off of you by telling you something.

We are trying to help you figure out if and why your fish is sick. Too small of a tank is the most obvious answer. You can take our advice or not, that's totally up to you.

Last edited:
First off, it isnt uncommon for fish, especially tangs to turn pale and find a area of low flow to "sleep". if you turn the lights on it takes awhile for them to get used to the lights being on, Im sure this is what you experienced.
Second, It really is a small tank for the fish "long term". I must say I had a 20 gallon tank as my first reef and had a small yellow tang, a regal tang, and several clowns and gobies. that tank was a great trouble free tank for a year till I upgraded. I am not saying that it is a good idea to keep a tang in a 20 gallon. But if you keep the water quality good I dont see it being a problem till you get the bigger tank going. If this fish doesnt make it I would suggest you avoid another tang till you get the bigger tank going though just to avoid getting hammered on here again for saying it! LOL! I know your new to this hobby so dont take it personally when people jump you for doing something you dont understand. Hope the best for you, and dont be affraid to continue to ask questions. thats how we learn

Very well put ironman. Most people here mean well and want to see you succeed in this hobby so dont tank it personally. Almost all of us have gotten caught by the tang police. Hell, ive got a Blue tang, Powder Brown Tang, and a Foxface in my tank. In another year ill have an adult emp angel. So don't worry and have fun with it and remember a forum is also a collection of peoples opinions too.

First off, it isnt uncommon for fish, especially tangs to turn pale and find a area of low flow to "sleep". if you turn the lights on it takes awhile for them to get used to the lights being on, Im sure this is what you experienced.
Second, It really is a small tank for the fish "long term". I must say I had a 20 gallon tank as my first reef and had a small yellow tang, a regal tang, and several clowns and gobies. that tank was a great trouble free tank for a year till I upgraded. I am not saying that it is a good idea to keep a tang in a 20 gallon. But if you keep the water quality good I dont see it being a problem till you get the bigger tank going. If this fish doesnt make it I would suggest you avoid another tang till you get the bigger tank going though just to avoid getting hammered on here again for saying it! LOL! I know your new to this hobby so dont take it personally when people jump you for doing something you dont understand. Hope the best for you, and dont be affraid to continue to ask questions. thats how we learn

Thanks for your post!! I was pretty put off by how hostile some of the replies have been but appreciate it when people like yourself can see that as a new person to the hobby, I am trying to learn, and up until I joined this forum a few days ago, I have been trusting the opinions of the marine keepers at my 2 LFS.

Aside from that, I am happy to report that my tang has been absolutely fine since I posted, and after further research online, I think that what you have suggested about them sleeping in a low flow area is what he is doing as each night he has done the same. Other than when he is resting he is fine and is eating his food and algae as normal, interacting with the others as normal and his colour is also brilliant.
I have bought a new kh test kit and it appears my old one was not very accurate and the kh levels are lower than the previous test kit read so I am pleased that all my levels are spot on.

Im looking forward to getting my new tank going and slowly transferring them over :D thanks for your help!

Very well put ironman. Most people here mean well and want to see you succeed in this hobby so dont tank it personally. Almost all of us have gotten caught by the tang police. Hell, ive got a Blue tang, Powder Brown Tang, and a Foxface in my tank. In another year ill have an adult emp angel. So don't worry and have fun with it and remember a forum is also a collection of peoples opinions too.

Thanks very much for your post!! I was thinking of cancelling my account until I got yours and ironmans post for fear of being strung up and quartered!
Im glad you have reminded me that it is just peoples opinions though. As I mentioned in my previous post, im happy to report that my tang is absolutely fine and I think it was simply resting when I shocked it by turning the lights on to check on him.
Im definately learning!
Thanks for your support :D

hope all the crab heads don't scare you off this is a great forum to hang out in. Others just have to remember that there are alot of newbies in here and we are all here to give as much advice as we can to help you.

welcome to living reefs

just remember when you upgrade best to go as big as you can in tank size cause your always gonna want a bigger tank.

patience is the most important, add fish slowly 1 every 4 to 6 weeks and ask people in here on advice on fish cause many of us have tried many species of fish and failed ourselves so we can let you know the good fish to keep and the ones not to even try.

in my experience, and from what i've read in other forums don't skimp on lights and skimmers always try to get good name brands on these. Others will tell you that skimmer is not real important but if you want a reef tank with lots of fish or big fish best to keep a skimmer that can handle twice your tank size.

live rock really needs to be 1 to 2 pounds per gallon more towards 2 if you can because this important part of filtration(biological).

Don't freak out when tank parameters are a little off cause with proper water changes and tank maturity things will level off. Some people mess up and go nuts adding additives to water to fix these things but new salt has all of elements your tank needs so regular water changes will take care of that, unless you go the route of SPS corals they use up calcium and other elements quickly.

Listen to D. French he's killed a lot of stuff. That was a joke. Never skimp on the skimmer, and when they get dirty french will clean them. Also remember that irs very hard to read one's tone in a forum, kinda like a text message. But, the tang police are quite passionate about what they do. You should have posted your question on Reef Central. You would have been back to this forum in about 30 seconds.

Another tip, If you have moonlights, actinic and daylights, try turning them on in progression as if the sun was rising and setting.

Would you happen to have any pictures of your Tang in your set-up?

Also, +1 Biff

EDIT: Real pity, too. Such a beautiful fish, it must/will be hard on you. I know -I- wouldn't be able to get rid of her/him. Best wishes and good luck.

Last edited:
I always tell the tang police to be sure and tape record the fish next time he tells them he is unhappy! LOL! When I was petting mine the other day he smiled at me and told me how much he loved it in my tank! LOL! Sorry couldnt resist.

Back