Problem with my candy cane?

Captain Ron

Reefing newb
I just got my first coral 2 days ago. Yesterday I noticed a tiny spot near the mouth where it looked pale. now an entire ring around the mouth looks pale. (polyp on top)
Is this normal? Are my lights too high? Please help, I don't want to kill my first coral!

I tested my parameters yesterday. They are:

phosphate: 0
nitrate: 0 (maybe 0.05)
ph: 8
alk: 9.5
calcium: 425
magnesium: 1320
salinity: 1.026
temp: 78.5

-Captain Ron

Attachments

• candycane_1024x768.jpg
    candycane_1024x768.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 341
Absolutely normal. On those "clear" spots are the mouth and sweeper tenticles. The sweepers will stick out about an inch or so and if youd like, you can feed them a small piece of shrimp or squid.

Absolutely normal. On those "clear" spots are the mouth and sweeper tenticles. The sweepers will stick out about an inch or so and if youd like, you can feed them a small piece of shrimp or squid.

Yeah it looked like something was hanging off the pale ring around the mouth. I thought maybe it was losing tissue or bleaching or dying or something. The first day I had it the green color was fairly uniform and I only saw two small spots that looked pale. Today there was a whole pale ring around the mouth with what looked like frayed tissue all along the ring. But if its normal then thats great. The coral looked really happy and puffed up to me yesterday. It looked puffed up today too but just with that pale right and slightly frayed tissue look on that ring.

-Captain Ron

Last edited:

Thanks again for your response. I can confirm the candycane appears to be totally fine and happy. At night I can see the little sweepers sticking out. Pretty cool.

Back