Problems with my Coralife Super Skimmer

adrchan

Reefing newb
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Coralife Super Skimmer? I love this skimmer because it works great in my 120 gallon tank. But the problem is that its producing too much micro-bubbles. I've only had the skimmer for 4 days now and I've adjusted the valves as well as the return pipe to the bubble diffuser. Nothing seems to work. Should I just be patient and hopefully the bubbles will die down? If anyone has a solution that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Do you add anything to your water? Water conditioners, dechlorinators, slime coat for the fish, medications, even some calcium and trace element supplements will make your skimmer go crazy for days afterwards. Tap water conditioner put my Remora out of commission for 2 weeks once.

Im running the same exact skimmer. I took about a week for mine to stop shooting out micro bubbles. Make sure that there is about 1 in. of space between the output tube and the sponge in the bubble trap. Best thing to do is referr to the manual, theres some helpful info in there.

it took my coralife about two weeks to "break in" and quite makeing all the microbubbles. after that it works great

I have the Coral life 125 skimmer and it did the exact same thing. I tweaked with the return to make sure it had the 1" space in the bubble diffuser and just waited. It took almost a week before the micro bubbles stopped. I've read some articles that the coral life skimmers are hard to get adjusted correctly but after they are they work great and I would agree 100% in my experience(which is limited). And Biff is right I think. My skimmer went nuts the last 2 times I left it running when I dosed for calcium so not doing that anymore.

Those coralife super skimmers are super touchy.Im running the 65 on my 55. If you close the flow control knob( the one right above the pump ) and then set the other water level control(red) to its lowest setting for the first 72 hours or so you want have as many micro bubbles.There will still be some,but it wont be as bad.

Thanks guys for all of the responses. The only thing I add is the Aquasafe water conditioner. I'll definitely try to not use it on the next water change. i'll keep you posted after 2 weeks.

The Aquasafe water conditioner will make your skimmer go crazy, since it contains stuff for the fishs' slime coats. You should think about switching to RO water (which you can buy at any grocery store or Walmart) then you won't need to use any conditioners.

All CRAP....Just when I was starting to like this skimmer it killed itself. After 4 days of working fine the pump stopped working. I'm going to return it today. I've took the skimmer apart and put it back together and even cleaned it out again and still the pump will not work. The pump works when its not connected but i've been playing with it for an hour and getting soaked in the process. Does anybody have any other recommendation for a Hang-On tank skimmer??

I just installed my Coralife skimmer and am having some trouble getting the water level where the instructions say and the bubble action at the same time. If I put the water level where the instructions say by turning the flow knob near the pump then I dont get any air into my lines (I can see water in the air line) If I open the valve a little bit then I get air into my skimmer but my water rises above the threaded collar. I have the flow control knob at 2/3 open, water level know all the way open and the pump is about 3" below the water line. Is this normal when the skimmer is breaking in?

Massey

yes, at least it was on mine. i had to run the water flow valve (the one by the pump) half closed like the directions says. and the adjust the red air valve to keep the water line at the bottom of the collection cup ring. don't pay much attention to the amount of bubbles or foam. just let it run and break in for awhile. you will see the water level drop day to day as it breaks in. then slowly open the valve to keep water level at collection cup ring. it took mine allmost two weeks before it started to work properly.

Thanks Fishbait. I was hoping that something like this would happen. I am thinking about moving it to my fuge when I get it finished I dont like how all the stuff looks in my water. I only need a basket and some hoses for my fuge to be finished.

Massey

i wouldn't know on this one seeing as how i am still trying to get ahold of coralife because my pump on mine is deffective:frustrat: . i need to get it replaced because it shocks:death: me and my fish as soon as it is plugged in.

Back