Problems with Nitrates

algy1943

Reefing newb
I am suffering with high nitrates , I had a a pure white anemone , fed it and it changed to its correct colour and retained its zooxanthella , but it grew so large and moved around the tank killing all my corals with the exception of the xenias , I have since removed the anemone ,removed all the live rock , completely cleaned the tank , throughly cleaned the rock killing off all the aiptasia , new crushed rock , replaced as much of the live rock as I wanted , filled the tank ,replaced the pumps etc and let it cure for 2 weeks then replaced the fish , I have now replaced several corals by the way the tank holds 250litres , I carry out 30litres water change every 2 weeks but cannot get the nitrates below 40 , can anyone help please ?
algy1943 :frustrat:

Current Tank Info: 250L Living reef tank, 7 fish,various corals and anemone's

Check your new water; might have nitrates. Or your test kit could be bad (I've had a brand spanking new test kit not test properly since day 1; kept saying I had 20ppm nitrates; turned out I had 0 once I had the LFS test it and I got a new kit.)

Thanks wonton have tried my new salt water and shows 0 and the test kit is ok because I have an API and HAGEN both show 40 , only problem showing is the amount os algae on the glass , sand and on my lovely orange sponge which I try to clean but the sponge is very hard to brush off, Help :regular_w:regular_w:dunno::dunno:

Back