Problems with Oceanic Aquariums??

Aquaunderworld

Reefing newb
Hi, I am new to living reefs forum but I have been in the hobby for over 30 years now. In that time I have owned many tanks and equipment and have seen the quality of brands I grew to trust take a nose dive. I was about to purchase an Oceanic 178 Ultimate Reef Ready tank when I was informed by my trustworthy local specialty reef/fish guy that he has been getting an increasing number of returns on large Oceanic aquariums. He informed me that Oceanic is using Chinese silicone and it is not doing the job it should be. Has anyone heard anything about this? I have never had an issue with Oceanic before, however, it has been 7 years since I purchased their 92 gallon corner tank. A lot can change in 7 years. Am I safe with the Oceanic 178 or should I consider Perfecto or going custom ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ive heard of problems with some bowfronts, not sure if it was oceanic, but if the guy that told you is the one that is selling it and he's going to risk losing a sale by telling you id definately listen to him and go with something els or just buy a used one cheaper and re sillicone it if need be.

I bought a used Oceanic 58 that's been holding up well, but I think it was made in '96 so I don't how recently they started using the cheep silicone.

Maybe the guys is trying to make you buy a custom from him so he can charge you an arm and a leg :lol:

Then again, we all know how rumors grow and spread...probably some guy's large Oceanic sprung a leak and rather than admitting that he thought the silicone was an algae he to scrape off, he told everyone that Oceanic uses cheap silicone :12: ...not that I've done that before or anything :shock: :lol:

Oceanic is made by All Glass Aquariums.

I have'nt had issues with them as far as leaking but you are paying for the name not the quality, they haven't adjusted their overflows to larger pumps either.

I purchase only Aqua Aquariums they make a very nice aquarium they polish the edges so they are nice and clean as well as put in the proper hole sizes.

I looked into a custom from perfecto with starfire glass and it will still be cheaper then the Oceanic. Oceanic raised their prices 25% bringing the 178 from $700 to $1100..ouch! Plus I can tweek the size a bit to my needs which will bring the capacity to over 200 gallons.

Thanks for your input.

Sorry... I'm worthless on this one.

yea, well, whats new? :mrgreen:

no seriously, i'd have to agree with kmart on this one, if hes the one selling them, and he would tell you about this before hand, then he's probably a good guy, cause he's not just making the cash now and leaving you with a living room full of 100+ gallons of water...

i havent specifically heard anything, but then again, i'm really not looking to buy anything that large right now, so even if i had heard anything, i wouldnt have committed it to memory..

The only reason I would really question his intentions is if he was trying to get you to buy a more expensive tank in the same size, but if he's telling you to go cheaper...I would probably take his word for it.

I would think if there had been a problem, there would be some talk about it on any of the numerous forums and it would come up with a google search. JMO

Back