Problems with Tank

Kyalyamay

Reefing newb
I bought a 50 gallon tank ten months ago. About six months in, I started to notice some salt deposits in a certain spot at the top under the rim. What started as a few salt deposits has become large clusters of salt and water slowly dripping down the side in two places. I tried just not filling the tank all the way, but it still manages to creep out. I spoke to the manager of the store I bought the tank from and he told me there was nothing they could do about it, but that I could maybe contact the company that made the tank. However, I don't know the maker and can't find my receipt. This manager also recommended a scraping apparatus for cleaning the more difficult algae on the sides, saying that it wouldn't scrap the acrylic, but after having used it, I began to notice scratches all over the sides of the tank as algae begins to grow into them. It doesn't seem that any of this should be happening to such a new tank. Is there anything I can do to fix the leaks (some sort of sealant, etc.)? Should the store be responsible for this? I greatly appreciate any advice!

The large clusters of salt is called salt creep and is an unfortunate side-effect of evaporation in our salty tanks. If your tank is leaking, that is something entirely different and you should fix that ASAP. Acrylic tanks are notorious for scratching and is the main downside to them. Welcome to the site!! :D

The large clusters of salt is called salt creep and is an unfortunate side-effect of evaporation in our salty tanks. If your tank is leaking, that is something entirely different and you should fix that ASAP. Acrylic tanks are notorious for scratching and is the main downside to them. Welcome to the site!! :D

Thanks! I don't think it's just salt creep because it is in very large amounts consistently at two specific locations that drip down the sides. How can I fix the leaks?

Most tanks come with a warranty against leaks. If you bought the tank from the store, they should be able to tell you who the manufacturer is. Usually the store is not responsible for defects, but the tank manufacturer is. I'd say a tank that's leaking and is less than a year old is definitely defective!

They did give you bad advice about the scraper though. Acrylic tanks are not a good idea for saltwater for that reason -- they scratch very easily and can even be scratched by the sand or rocks in your tank.

I'm wondering why you bought a 50 gallon tank in acrylic? Why not glass? I don't think it's normal to even sell tanks that size in acrylic (usually acrylic is reserved for very large tanks). For what it's worth, I wouldn't ever buy an acrylic tank -- glass only for me. So if you do end up having to get a new tank, consider that.

In any case, it sounds like your LFS isn't being very helpful. If you bought the tank from them less than a year ago and you have been a loyal customer, they should be trying to help you fix your problems, not make them worse.

Most tanks come with a warranty against leaks. If you bought the tank from the store, they should be able to tell you who the manufacturer is. Usually the store is not responsible for defects, but the tank manufacturer is. I'd say a tank that's leaking and is less than a year old is definitely defective!

They did give you bad advice about the scraper though. Acrylic tanks are not a good idea for saltwater for that reason -- they scratch very easily and can even be scratched by the sand or rocks in your tank.

I'm wondering why you bought a 50 gallon tank in acrylic? Why not glass? I don't think it's normal to even sell tanks that size in acrylic (usually acrylic is reserved for very large tanks). For what it's worth, I wouldn't ever buy an acrylic tank -- glass only for me. So if you do end up having to get a new tank, consider that.

In any case, it sounds like your LFS isn't being very helpful. If you bought the tank from them less than a year ago and you have been a loyal customer, they should be trying to help you fix your problems, not make them worse.

Actually I'm not certain it's acrylic- it might very well be glass. Being new to the hobby, I just thought acrylic was the standard material. Yes, the store has not been very helpful in the matter. The manager just tends to get defensive when I mention any problems.

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody! Little_fish, I like your website! I'm in the same boat- about to start vet school at Kansas State. Good luck with your funding and your classes!!

Back