Prognathodes basabei

jarock

Reefing newb
I am thinking about getting one ut kind much info on them anyone know what size of tank you need and any other tips it would be appreciated .

good luck finding one, they are one of the deepest collected saltwater fish (approx. 450ft) and usually sell for around $6,000

How do you plan on keeping your tank at 70°? They are a cool water fish and will not live long in typical reef tank temps.

This might be one of those "best left in the ocean" fish :D That's a steep price to pay for a fish that has very special needs!

I'm wondering if your LFS has that fish mis-labeled. The fish with the scientific name you listed is extremely rare and expensive, and not typically sold in this hobby. Everything I've seen online says that there are only a couple of these fish available for sale each year, and that those few fish cost $6,000 to $10,000. What I'm saying it, your LFS probably does not have this fish, it has a different fish that looks like it. There are many fish that look very similar to it and could be easily confused with it. It has a pretty generic look, and a lot of those butterflies are hard to tell apart.

Back