Project5k and the new 75Gal salt tank

sorry, I tried but I didnt have a lot to work with. I have another method, but it's far less conventional. You'll need a large piece of rubber hose, a can of hairspray and a lighter, three limes (regular not key), and a hard hat....

Does this method involve Lime Cat?

Attachments

• limecat2.jpg
    limecat2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 195
yea, the snowflake will on occasion chase after the tang or the clown, but he/she hasnt messed with the mandrin thus far, but yea, thats a good point, and i have worried about it, but theres not much i can do while i'm not there, and i dont know that there would be much i could do if i was there, really...

hehehe, yea, that snowflake must be going through a growth spirt or something, or maybe he's getting comfortable after all the move and re-arranging of the tank and stuff, cause he/she is eating like a horse... the others dont eat nearly as much...

i have a snowflake in with 2 tiny clown fish and a mandrin thats about 1in 1/2 long... hes never once bothered em :) just keep him well fed, they grow VERY fast... my guy was about 7 inches when i got him, now hes doubled in size and width... he eats about 1-2 shrimp a day... jsut keep em fed and happy :) my lil Kona is a great addition to my tank i think... eels are great :)

just a couple pics to give an update on the new stand... I think i'm just about done, i just need to make the front doors.. and throw on another coat or 2 of paint.

Attachments

• Img_1158 s.jpg
    Img_1158 s.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Img_1160 s.jpg
    Img_1160 s.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 211
  • Img_1362 s.jpg
    Img_1362 s.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Img_1442 s.jpg
    Img_1442 s.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Img_1452 s.jpg
    Img_1452 s.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Img_1445 s.jpg
    Img_1445 s.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks every body... I hope it turns out as good in real life as it is in my head....

the ends are actually hinged doors, just for easier access.

yea the power strips had these crappy little holes in the back like you were supposed to hang them from screws, but that didnt work for crap, so i devised my own mounting scheme.

i decided to mount the timers on the end door, so that they were easy to get to and mess with, rather than trying to climb up inside the thing to mess with them..

you can also see one of the 2 T-5 3foot lights i have mounted in there...

the more i do to this thing, the more i think of that i wanna do..

now i'm thinking that i'm gonna slide the sump tank in, and then set up a shelf above it for the fuge and the algal scrubber.. that way i can increase the volume of the system all that much more...

I have a 12-15 gallon plastic bowfront tank i picked up from craigslist in austin a few weeks back, i'm thinking that i may use that as my algal scrubber tank, and keep the fuge i have on the tank now, and just drill one end of it for an "overflow" kinda setup, and then that can just gravity feed back to the sump...

Guess i might outta draw a picture... ok so what your looking at, is the light blue is the 29 gallon sump tank, then above that is the algal scrubber and the fuge i have now. the plan is to have 3 pumps in the sump, one is the DT return pump, (burn orange) the fuge pump, (hot pink), and the algal scrubber pump(green). Oh and the tall dark blue is the skimmer that i still need to buy...

My thinking is this, the sump return pump and overflow are normal, just like everyone has now... the algal pump will lift water out of the sump up to the scrubber, drop it over the screen with lights, and then run back out under gravity back down to the sump, the same follows true for the fuge.

This way if there is a power outage, theres no overflow problems.. the fuge wont overflow, the algae scrubber cant overflow, and the sump is only gonna be about 3/4 full, so it wont overflow..

also, there will be a baffel(or a set of them) between the return pump and the other pumps, and the returns from the algal scrubber and the fuge will dump into the return pump section, so that there is allways new water rather than recirculating the same water over and over through them.

Attachments

• new stand sump fuge scrubber layout.jpg
    new stand sump fuge scrubber layout.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I am sad, i think my mandrin gobi is dead, i found him last night cramed in a corner between a couple rocks, not moving, and only breathing once every few seconds, not all the time like normal, and then this morning i couldnt find him at all.

this is my first fish death in over 4 years. he lookd perfectly normal, just not moving, and his little pursed lips werent sticking out like normal...

Alas poor Waldo, you will be missed.

yea, it happens, oh well, its gonna happen sooner or later, i guess this way at least i know i didnt kill him by moving the tank.... he lived with me for 5 months, and i have no idea how old he was total, cause i got him "used" from a buddy who had him for a couple years i wanna say i remember, so he may have just died of old age.. cause everyone else looks just ad good as normal.
I'm really not suspecting any external cause at this point.

Thank you, you know, its interesting, when i leave the house in the morning, the lights havent come on, so this morning while i was looking for him i couldnt find him, even with a flashlight, but last night when i looked at him, he was ill, for sure, he was proped up kinda sideways aganst a rock, and barely breathing.

I just got a text from the wife, Waldo is up and about, picking at the sand and rocks just like allways.

I was sure he was dead, but according to the wife, he's just fine...

maybe i'm gonna get lucky.

heres a pic the wife sent me from her phone as proof hes ok: he's all the way down in the corner, kinda hard to see. sorry bout that.

Attachments

• waldo is alive.JPG
    waldo is alive.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
He's probably pissed cause you shined that light in his eyes while he was trying to sleep.:D
But happy to hear he's alright.

Wow Waldo is back from the dead! It's a miracle! I'm happy to hear that; hopefully he's okay and was just going through "a phase".

yea,waldo was just sleeping i guess... but george, is infact dead, i flushed him yesterday morning. I got up, and he wasnt yellow any more, just a little bit of his tail was yellow, the rest of him was grey... and it was stuck back in the back bottom of the little cave i made in my rock, he was upside down, and not moving.. i took a couple pictures to show the color diff, but i'll have to post thoes when i get home.

oh, and then after flushing george, i went out to my shop to finalize all the plymbing in my new stand, and i cracked the corner of the the 10 gal bowfront acrylic i was going to use as my external fuge... so i just smashed it and went back in the house.

Last edited:
Back