promoting coraline algae growth

johno1973

Reefing newb
What is the best way to promote coraline algae growth. I started with 10% live rock and 90% foundation rock and want the coraline algae to grow onto the foundation. Is there anything I can do to speed the process or do I just need to wait months or years for it to spread? BTW my tankhasfinished cycling and all tests show good. Ammonia, nitrites, phosphates, and nitrates are at 0, and calcium is 460, alkalinity is almost 10. I added a blue damsel yesterday and plan on getting the CUC in a week or two when enough detritus and algae form to feed them. I just want my rocks to look prettier.

If you have coralline on the live rock already, take a toothbrush or razor blade and scrape it off. Wherever it lands, it will grow new coralline.

But most importantly...you need time. It sucks, but coralline can take 6 months or so to start showing up in a lot of tanks. In the meantime, keep your pH, alkalnity, magnesium and calcium in a good range to facilitate its growth.

Yeah everybody wants those nice purple/pink rocks until it starts getting everywhere else too.

Give it time, I've found that it usually just seems to explode at some point and you'll have it everywhere before you know it.

+1 all the above.
Just keep the parameters right and brush whats there with a new brush,and it you'll end up with the purple plague.

My rocks already have some red and green coraline on them. I just didn't know if they would spread quicker with some help. I keep telling my wife that in a year this thing will look awesome, just be patient. Thanks again.

Some people say it does, some people say it doesn't. It doesn't actually contain coralline -- it's just calcium mixed with sand. So unless you have coralline to begin with, Purple Up won't do anything...

Figured it wouldn't grow something out of nothing. Didn't know if it was a good nutrient or something else, or nothing, would work better.

Back