Proper Alk testing?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Can anyone suggest a good Alk test "kit"? Been using strips and I'm not happy with the results. I have a API kit for other parameters.

Levels today are spot on. Zero's across the board with an SG of 1.025 and a pH of 8.0. Any suggestions on raising the pH just a tad? I'd like to get it up to around 8.2.

Probably would be a god idea to get test kits for other parameters too. Suggestions? This is a FOWLR tank. NO CORALS.

If you only have a FOWLR and aren't planning on keeping corals then you'll only need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH tests. All the others alk, calcium, and mag are only needed if you're keeping hard corals. And again, even with corals a pH of 8 is fine and trying to keep it elevated would be a pain and without corals it's even less important to keep higher then 7.8.

Thanks folks!

I want to start testing for everything so I can get a handle on it. In about a year or so I want to start keeping some soft corals. Again, that is a LONG way off, but if I can get into the habit from the beginning, of keeping everything in line, the better off all my life in the tank will be.

Its also some interaction for my kids. Hands on stuff ya know. The more I can teach them about the tank, the better off it will be. It also is helping them to learn responsibility for both the tank and nature in general. I'm no tree hugger, but everything I can do, such as teaching my kids, the better off THEIR world will be.

Dang, its getting deep in here........

Back