Proper Filtration?

bhaynes88

Reefing newb
Hey everyone i have had a really hard time with my tanks so far as with green algae taking over the water so i did 100% water change and now i just cant get my tank clear here is what i have now

200w heater
pengion 350 running cartige and extra carbon
maxi jet 600 in circulation mode
4x24w T5-HO

I have to lucky oppertunity to start fresh with the filtration system, for christmas my dad is going to over haul my filtration so he can use my 29g as a test run to see how much work a properly filtered and set up reef tank is before he gets a 300g+ in wall setup, so here is my question

How would you filter my 29g from top to bottom, i would like as much info as possible and would like the equipment to be able to handle 75g or more i am thhingin of doing a sump what would you do?

If I were to set that tank up, I would have approx 20 lbs of sand, 50-60 lbs of rock, and 2 powerheads. Make sure you don't use any tap/sink water, and don't over feed. I'd remove the hob filter, because it could cause more issues, and invest in a hob skimmer (octopus or aqua c remora) are both good. And keep up on my 10% water changes once a week.

also NEVER do a 100% waterchange. that will kill almost everything. but smitty basically covered it +1. also a cpr hob refugium would help algae problem

+1 Everyone

But almost all tanks will go through an algae bloom like that, the best thing is to just keep doing your water changes and wait it out. Doing a huge water change like you did probably set you back because you probably went through a mini cycle and you release a bunch of crud for the algae to feed off of.

I would slow down, let the tank stabilize and then get into the habit of doing regular water changes

also NEVER do a 100% waterchange. that will kill almost everything. but smitty basically covered it +1. also a cpr hob refugium would help algae problem

I really did not want to do a 100% cahnge but i was informed that sine it was green algae in my water colum that i could never get rid of it. i tried a algaecide and water changes but still no luck as far as i clearig up. I am certain that it set me back, just because I cannot get the tank to clear up, I removed the filter cartriges from my hob and replaced carbon with fresh carbon was this a good move?

having an algae bloom in the water column isnt a death sentence, you just need to wait it out.

And you should be changing the media in the HOB filter every few days to keep nitrates down so you dont keep feeding the algae.

having an algae bloom in the water column isnt a death sentence, you just need to wait it out.

And you should be changing the media in the HOB filter every few days to keep nitrates down so you dont keep feeding the algae.

Thanks for the information, this is all new to me. I am now bound and determined to get this under control and to have a healthy and thriving tank. Thanks for the information, tonight i am goin to change filter cartridges and mix some new sw and let it sit till wed. and do a 10g change

Back