Proper Light Acclimation?

bur01014

Reefing newb
I am having trouble with all my softies. (they all have been closed now for a month) I am hoping you guys are right and that when I added all new ATI and KZ bulbs to my T5 fixture in replacement of the stock cheapos, this caused the problem. I even noticed today that my green acropora SPS coral is bleaching from top slowly down to the bottom. I originally just ran my lights less throughout the day, but for a week did not notice any changes. So I need to do this right and be patient. What is the proper way to do a light acclimation?

What I've done tonight:

1. Moved all frags to sand bed (softies, LPS, & SPS)
2. Raised my fixture about 5 inches above the top of the tank (books stacked)
3. Run half bulbs 6 hours a day and all bulbs combined 3 hours a day

Am I doing this right?

I suppose I should lower my fixture an inch a week and increase lighting time by a couple hours a week? Or just leave it and slowly raise corals back up? Further details on what has worked for you guys would be great! Thanks

BTW-any supplements I could add to help heal corals from "sunburn"?

I just re-read your other post and realized that I don't think your lights are the problem.

You never followed up with answers to our questions about your water quality, more specifically; Salinity or specific gravity, Temperature, are you using RO water?, phosphates, pH?

I don't think the addition of only a 4 bulb T-5 lighting fixture would be bleaching your corals is is more likely something else...

Water Test Results:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.1
Salinity: 1.023 (had just topped off)
Phosphate: 0
KH:11.7
Calcium: 380
Iodine: less than .01
Magnesium: 1200

Use RO water only- 10% change weekly w/ Instant Ocean
Temperature is 78-80

With new bulbs par has probably doubled....not sure what else it could be to cause softies to not open for weeks and for SPS to bleach. LPS are looking great! just weird....btw- same time as adding new bulbs I added a LED daylight strip (16 leds at 1 watt each) Mostly for shimmer and sunlight look....not sure if this is playing a part either?

It looks like you are taking the necessary steps.Sorry,there is no aloe vera lotion for corals to heal from sunburn.LOL.I've also heard of people using window tint to block some light as well.I had to move a brain coral to a shaded area after changing bulbs so changing bulbs can be the cause of the bleaching.

+1 Reef on the bulbs.
It also wouldnt hurt to lower your alkalinity.8 to 9 DKH is closer to NSW and better for your corals.
Wouldnt hurt to bump your salinity up to 1.025-1.026 either.I've noticed that corals and inverts in general do better with the higher salinity.

Back