Proper Water Flow

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So I am approaching the point where I think i may be ready for corals, the only thing I am worried about is water flow. I have a canister filter that I will be removing and a protein skimmer. Besides those two things I have nothing else moving the water. What are good methods to ensure I have the right amount of movement (I know there is a range due to the different requirements of different corals). I have a 26gallon bow front tank, so if I could get some suggestions how how to get the movement and what to use I would very grateful. As always thanks for the advice!

-Tom

You want your tank to be turned over 20-40x an hour (depending on what corals you want to keep).

There's so many options and companies out there... I've always been a fan of the Korelia's, though. You're going to want to get a couple smaller ones and not just one big one, though.

Thanks, so how should I position them in the tank? Also in a sorta related question what is the point of a wave maker? Also when you say a couple smaller ones should I do two or three? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do this right.

Last edited:
They best way to have your flow is called a gyre, its a rotational type of flow. In my experience you want the water to come at the overflow.

A wave maker is just another way to get water movement but it doesnt Move the water in a typical fashion. I wouldn't consider it towards your change over. More just aesthetic movement. Just a word of caution they can and do put a considerable strain on your tank and have caused several failed tanks especially smaller ones with thin glass.

They best way to have your flow is called a gyre, its a rotational type of flow. In my experience you want the water to come at the overflow.

A wave maker is just another way to get water movement but it doesnt Move the water in a typical fashion. I wouldn't consider it towards your change over. More just aesthetic movement. Just a word of caution they can and do put a considerable strain on your tank and have caused several failed tanks especially smaller ones with thin glass.
Ok so should I have them set up to move the water in a vortex shape. Also I do not have a sump, so I have no overflow...

I have a 20 gallon long and have two Hydor 425's. Some will say that is too much for my tank, but everything is doing great. I know your tank is a hair bigger but two 425's would probably do great for you. If you decide to buy those don't buy them at your LFS unless you know it's a good price. I bought mine on amazon for $26 a piece free shipping. Shop around!

No so much a vortex, think of your tank as a square barrel. You want the water to move from low in the back, up the front glass and then moving from front to back across the top. That should be your main current. If you have additional sources that randomly displace the main current that's even better but if I were limited in my flow that is what I would shoot for.

A good position I have found is both aimed at each other on opposite sides of the tank or pointed a 45 degree angle at the front glass...this disperses the movement so nothing gets completely blasted

If you are doing LPs corals, a lot of them don't like high flow

Back