Pros & Cons of a DSB in sump ?

Lesely

Reefing newb
Hi, Have just placed our order for the new sump to go with our new build. We have planned space for a DSB inthe sump, I am now hearing mixed opinions regarding have a DSB.
Some people are saying to have a double fuge instead ?
What is your opinion, and what has worked for you ?
Is there any reason a DSB didn't work, or why you would suggest we don't have one.
I have included the plans for the sump so any suggestions or improvements greatly accepted
photo.JPG

I have a small 15cm deep plastic container in mine so that when change out time comes it'll be easy. You can do it in a corner of the fuge or have a dedicated space for it. The main thing with DSBs is to have good flow across them and not to have detritus settle into them clogging them.

There are some that say they're good at getting rid of nitrates, you make it deep enough to become oxygen devoid in the bottom which will reduce nitrates. We used a similar device in the 80s that had 3 compartments to cultivate anaerobic bacteria. They need to be at least 15cm or 6" deep.

DSBs are a complete waste of time and money. They have been scientifically studied and no benefit was found. A couple inches of sand is plenty to hold beneficial bacteria.

I'd check out remote dsb. Deep sand beds need to be cleaned or will cause 'old tank syndrome.' There is nothing wrong with dsb, anaerobic bacteria thrive in areas such as this, but the nutrients need to be released from time to time.
Some folks use a 5g bucket of sand for filtration. There is no right or wrong or 'scientific fact' to promote or deny a dsb, more a preference and knowing how to work with it.

Hi, have decided to not go with a DSB in the new sump. We are going to have 2 chambers of Chateau instead, If it doesn't work well enough then down the track we can add one.
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback, very interesting.

Back