Protein Skimmer and Reef Tank

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I was reading online about the protein skimmer and it's benefits. It looks like there is no point in having it from the first place, unless you have a problem with proteins.

I wonder now, and asking you guys, do i need or not need this protein skimmer in my sump? When it's good to have it and when not?

Thanks.

Protein skimmers remove dissolved organics from the water. If you have living things in your tank, you have dissolved organics.

Do you need to have one from the startup of your tank? Probably not.

Would I run a system without one? Probably not.

In theory, partial water changes will remove dissolved organics, but if you're even semi lazy in performing water changes I think it is beneficial to have a skimmer operating on your system

Protein skimmers are the most effective type of filter for saltwater. I believe they are a must on large tanks. They remove dissolved organics -- fish waste, uneaten fish food, etc. The stuff that will spoil your water and cause your parameters to get out of whack. On a smaller tank, you can get by just by doing regular water changes. So I wouldn't have one for a 10 gallon tank, but I would for a 75.

Back