protein skimmer break in

reefjet

Reefing newb
today i just got my aquaticlife mini skimmer 115 and put it in my aquarium right away but it is making 1,000s of micro bubbles and the collection cup keep filling up with water every 3 min. does any one know what is the fastest way to break in a new protein skimmer

Did you lengthen the air intake tube? Mine made a tone of micro bubbles as well for the 1st few days its normal. Also adjust the water intake with the knob beside the collection cup, turn it down if it is overflowing. IF your cup is filling up every 3 mins it means that the water level is too high for it and you need to lengthen the air intake tube. Its very simple to do and works much better after. It will ohwever take a week or two to break in,

Last edited:
IMG_20120210_183638.jpg

something like this.If you need help doing it let me know :)

Turn the flow all the way down and leave it there for a day, let it build a foam head. If your tank is dirty it may push it up into the collection cup anyway and if that's the case, leave it there for a bit. Most people seem to set the water line at the base of the cup, once the skimmer is broken in.

Look for a video on youtube called 'tuning a protein skimmer' by mr.saltwatertank. I'd post a link but I'm at work. :P

Sure reef, take the two halves apart of the outer casing. There will be a black tube connecting to a black elbow emerging from the covering. Dissconnect the black tube and knock out the little black elbow. I had to use a ratchet to knock it out. Get some air line tubing like you see in my pic. Push the airline through the hole where the elbow protruded from. Id say a good inch or so through. Then with a little elbow grease push the airline tubing into the black tubing it should be a very snug fit. Also make sure the air line tubing is at least 3/4 of an inch into the black tube. Assemble the two halves back togeather and voila. No more water getting into your air intake. :) . Id reccommend using the back clip for hanging it as well it sets the depth of the skimmer quite well. Let me know how it goes. Also in my opinion time is the best way to break in the skimmer, like Zissou said turn it down most of the way so the water level is very low and let it bubble. It will take awhile but when it works, youll be happy.

Last edited:
Letting it break in without using vinegar or trying to speed it up should be the way to go. Just wondering what the rush is?

I had to let mine(Reef Octopus Extreme 250) run for a few days like it says. Only time I had an overflo is with new eShopps socks I did not soak in bleach and water like I normally wash dirty ones. My prior Aqueon socks did not need washing prior to use.

Anyway this is about the skimmer and I say let it run for a day or 2 with the adjustment all the way down. Then like mentioned above tune it to where the head starts at the bottom inch of the cup or the neck depending on the design.

If you don't have anything in the tank it won't be making any waste anyway or at least anything with much color. Sorry just guessing because it doesn't really say if the tank is stocked or just cycling or got done cycling.

I figured it would be done cycling at the least since you have a skimmer hooked up and running already.

As far as I have ever read it won't really start pumping out crud till months down the road. That is how it was for my couple of skimmers anyway. I get a consistent amount of waste over a 2 week period. Some tanks just do not have a large bio-load.

I have a 220 with about 20 corals and 15 fish and hardly have much waste in a week and my skimmer is blasting away with 2 pumps. I feel lucky. My water is alway clean as can be with 0 Nitrates. Maybe the Carbon Reactor helps out?

Back