Protein Skimmer Issues

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

My protein skimmer seems to quit working and then it starts working again. Is this the pump getting overheated or something??

FYI I have an ASM Mini-G skimmer.

Thanks as always!

~RC

Could you be a bit more descriptive?...what is it that is making you think the skimmer is not working and then it seems to be working again?

How long has the tank been running? How long has the protein skimmer been running?

If it was a pump issue you'd more than likely be able to see decreased flow rates into your skimmer.

Last edited:
Could you be a bit more descriptive?...what is it that is making you think the skimmer is not working and then it seems to be working again?

How long has the tank been running? How long has the protein skimmer been running?

If it was a pump issue you'd more than likely be able to see decreased flow rates into your skimmer.

Yeah I don't see any flow rate into my skimmer.....the water just sits in the chamber...no bubbles, no skimmate. Then like 10 minutes later the skimmer starts "working" again and I have bubbles.

Tank has only been running four days, same goes for the skimmer.

Thanks,
RC

Is you skimmer HOB or in a sump?
If the pumps quitting then restarting,theres something wrong with the motor.If thats the case,send it back and make em replace it.

check your airline. My skimmer was doing that in my basement tank and the airline was clogged with salt creep. I cleaned it out and the skimmer worked like new

-Doc

you could check your pump too, make sure a piece of sand or something didn't get sucked up into the impeller. I have a rio that does this quite often. Sometimes I just beat a few times and it works fine :D

you said it is a mini skimmer right?, if it is, i hear that they are all crap an d will all eventualy break when i was reading the reviews on them.

Hi All,

I did everything from checking the airline to making sure the pump wasn't "clogged" with sand and debris.

I think by the way the skimmer is behaving it's the pump overheating, turning itself off, and then starting back up when it gets cool enough and then repeating the process.

nudy...the name of the skimmer is a miniG, but it isn't mini by any means!

LFS is supposed to get me a new one and let me know when it comes in.

So far so good on the cycling. Saw my first two feather dusters last night, they are cool. I am having to replace like a gallon of water a day from evap...is this normal?

Thanks,
RC

I have glass panels on my 125 and I only lose a gallon every three days. I lose at least a gallon from the 90 with an open top. sounds normal

-Doc

Back