protein skimmer or refugium?

Reefydude360

Reefing newb
which is more important for a new tank like mine I plan on adding both on the long run but I dont have the $$$ to get both now so which first refugium or skimmer:question:

I'd get a skimmer first, since it removes gunk before it breaks down. Plus if the tank's new, it's counter productive to set up a fuge, since the chaeto will probably starve from lack of nutrients. Skimmer would be more useful.

Or go very "frugal" like me and just do a DIY algae scrubber.

I have a 20gal long sump and refugium I intend to get going very soon along with the alage scrubber.

I have no plans for a skimmer at this time. If I think I need one down the road I will get one of course.

So far so good with the algae scrubber being my only form of "filtration" beside the 90lbs of Live Rock in the tank itself.

In my opinion, if you plan on getting either one you should go with a good skimmer first.

Granted that the refugium provides additional functions, but with regards to removing gunk from your tank:
Skimmer - "Takes the garbage out and tosses them to the dumpster out in the alley."
Refugium - "Collects the garbage in bags and the bags are stored in the attic or basement."

Thanks everyone I will add both but I will get a good skimmer first then a HOB refugium for pods since I'll add a mandarin down the road thanks again!

Back