Protein Skimmer Over flowing

blando

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

My skimmer keeps over flowing. It was working fine etc until i added some stuff to te water to cure ich. A fish that i bought had it or got it and so i was trying to treat it and once i added the stuff to the water thats when it started to over flow. It has been a little over a week all most 2 and is still happening. I have it running with the top off so the bubbles are just running out. I did a water changed Friday to see if that would help and did not. I also tried adjusting the protien skimmer on how much water is coming out etc an that did not work as well. Any suggestions by chance? I would like to get this working again.

Also looks like the one fish was cured but now i saw couple spots on different fish not sure if i should add the stuff again and wait until fixing the skimmer or what.

So any suggestions would be greats.

Thanks everyone!!

Anytime medications are added to your tank you should shut the skimmer down. The chemicals will make it go ape shit crazy like you are experiencing now.

Do another water change, and wait a day or 2 then turn your skimmer back on.

Should i turn off the skimmer now? It is just running and the bubbles are just over flowing into the water. If i had to do it again because i see some spots on another fish should i shut the skimmer off and also the Media reactor? If you have to turn these off when adding medications how long do you need to have them turned off?

I am curious as to what you added to get rid of Ich. There are really only a couple of ways to get rid of Ich, by either Copper or Hyposalinity. fastrd400 is correct on shutting down your skimmer and any media reactor while medicating. As far as the skimmer going crazy the best way way stop it is to wet skim it out of your tank while slowly replacing it with new salt water after the medication period has finished. My skimmer did the same thing after medicating my tank for Cyano. How long it will take depends on the size of your tank and the amount of medication. I have a 70 gallon mixed reef with sump and mine took about an hour or a little more to skim it out.

No I have not heard of it, I hope it works for you. I had Ich just over a year ago and I did the Hyposalinity route and it worked but what a pain. Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Back