protein skimmer question

highwaycrossinfrog

Reefing newb
i have a 20 gallon and just put fish in. They are doing well, but my question is about this protein skimmer i have:

Visi Jet Protein Skimmer | Air Stone Driven | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

how long will it take to have something in the collection cup? i had it running before i got the fish (2 weeks) and didnt have anything in the cup. i am just wondering because i want to be sure i have it working correctly. it does make bubbles in the upper part of the column, but nothing has come up in the cup yet.

Those Visi Jet skimmers aren't very good from my reading.You should get foam when there is nutrient present in the water.Two fish and the cycle is complete then there should be skimmate.Sorry,not to sound harsh but consider the skimmer an oxygenator.

I agree, you should be getting gunk in the collection cup by now. I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but is there any way to adjust the settings on it?

Thats the very first skimmer I ever bought.
Their junk.I ran the one I had for 6 months,and the cup was as clean the day I trashed it as it was the day I plugged it in.Even the lowly seaclone is 10X better than the visi-jets.

I agree with yote. That skimmer I could never get it to collect a thing. I ended up trashing it and buying a better one.

Back