Protein Skimmer Question.

Fockdaddy

Reefing newb
What kind of skimmer would you recommend for my 40 gallon fish tank I am going to set up. I have a 29 gallon sump to put it in. Something of higher quality would be nice.

I used a Aqua C remora HOB skimmer on my 46 gallon bowfront, when I had that setup. Now it is sitting in my shed with a new pump. Worked great when I had it running. My new tank is just a tad big for it. I'm not sure how well it would do at skimming a 180 lol. Just my 2 cents for you. Worked well for me don't know how others feel about these.

Vertex IN-100 In-Sump Protein Skimmer is a good skimmer. It is a quality skimmer and it is somewhat affordable.

I have the AquaC Remora on my 29g too...with the maxijet 1200

My tank is very healthy and doing well.

On its lowest setting, though, it still doesn't pull as much gunk as I would like to see in there. I feel like a better skimmer would pull more crap but then I'm not really sure and don't know if it might just be because I do a lot of water changes and maybe my tank is just relatively clean and that's all that's in there.

I definitely feed a LOT more than some of the other people on here and I don't see an increase in skimmate, which is what makes me think it isn't as efficient as advertised.

My $.02

I have the AquaC Remora on my 29g too...with the maxijet 1200

My tank is very healthy and doing well.

On its lowest setting, though, it still doesn't pull as much gunk as I would like to see in there. I feel like a better skimmer would pull more crap but then I'm not really sure and don't know if it might just be because I do a lot of water changes and maybe my tank is just relatively clean and that's all that's in there.

I definitely feed a LOT more than some of the other people on here and I don't see an increase in skimmate, which is what makes me think it isn't as efficient as advertised.

My $.02

I'm looking to get the AquaC Remora for my 65g tank. Can you tell me what the "with drain" means. Also, you say "on its lowest setting it doesn't pull as much gunk as you would like to see in there." Does it have a higher setting and is there a reason why you don't use the higher setting? I've never used (or seen) a protein skimmer....

Everyone has different tastes in skimmers, and price range, so give us a lil more info and we can pinpoint a good skimmer for ya within your price range. If your looking for a high end skimmer and price doesn't matter i would go with a reef octopus.

And Cvcdrk that makes a lot of sense if do reg water changes u prob wont get a lot of gunk in your skimmer, but i would look at fine tuning your specific skimmer with HOB skimmers i'm sure a lot is dependent on your water level. just my 2 cents could be wrong. id look at how big your bubbles are the finer and smaller they are the more gunk your gunna pull out.

Last edited:
What type of skimmer are you looking for? In sump? HOB? External?

There are a variety of skimmers on the market, obviously some much better than others.
Personally I am not sold on the Reef Octopus skimmers. I'd use a Bubble Magus or an SWC instead.

Back