Protein Skimmer Question

jamielynn

Reefing newb
Trying to do some research on my protein skimmer for a few things that I have been thinking about from observation..

1. I'm assuming it is working correctly, but are the bubbles suppose to fill the neck at all times? The bubbles rarely reach the neck, and when they do, it's very little...

2. How does it work? And how can I be sure that mine is functioning properly for my tank?

3. Do I need to adjust it?

4. How often do I need to clean it?

It's a Vertex Aquariastik Skimmer IN-180
fish417.jpg

I'd check your water level in the sump. get it to within specs for the skimmer. Then, twist the vertical tube to start closing it off. That will raise the bubbles inside the skimmer.

+1 fastdr400. I have a Vertex n100 in my sump and I clean out the neck and cup about once a week or when ever needed (my skimmate empties into a large sealed container not in the collection cup). Like fastdr400 mentioned get your skimmer in line with the recommended depth My skimmer is recommended to sit in 6-8 inches of water so I meet in the middle and set in in 7 inches of water and it skims great., and is your skimmer brand new if it is it will have to go through a break in period. Also I remove my skimmer about once a year and clean it thoroughly by letting it run in a light vineger and RO/DI water solution in a rubbermaid tub for a while then scrub the entire thing inside and out well and rinse it very well after cleaning and returning back to the sump. Also when adjusting the verticle tube do it in very small increments and give it a little time to between adjustments. I really like this skimmer, I think it is a great skimmer for the price.

Last edited:
Back