Protein Skimmer vs biowheel

silvaams

Reefing newb
I am new to the hobby and would like to know if my tank will be ok using a biowheel rather than the seaclone 100 that I have. I bought the seaclone four or five years ago when I started my first tank that lasted about a year. Five years later I got the bug again and set up my 25 gal hex tank with 22 lbs of cured rock and 20 lbs of live sand. I have been doing tons of research this time and have found that this protein skimmer is not that great. In my experience, I will get foam starting to enter the collection cup and then suddenly lose it. I am about to pull it out of the tank and put my biowheel in, just do not know if this is a wise thing to do. I am currently on my second week of my cycle with no fish. I intend to keep fish and some soft corals when I am ready which will not be at least for a year. I do have snails and hermits because I jumped the gun and thought my tank was fully cycled. After reading and reading I have realized that I never let my ammonia levels really get high enough. I
realize I may lose some snails and hermits, but will they help in my cycle?

On a 25g tank, I wouldn't worry about having either. I ran my 28g for 2 years without any mechanical filter on it and no issues. With tanks that small you can handle all the filtration with just weekly water changes.

Last edited:
On a 25g tank, I wouldn't worry about having either. I ran my 28g for 2 years without any filter on it and no issues. With tanks that small you can handle all the filtration with just weekly water changes.

..and live rock?

For a 25 gallon tank, I would suggest remove both bio-wheel and skimmer. Just use live rock and do 5 gallon water changes per week.

The bio-wheel tends to cause problems with proper nitrification.
And although the SeaClone will work in a 25 gallon tank, it is just a very big headache to get it to work consistently.

I have 20g at my office. I was constantly battling cyano or green hair until someone on here recommended ditching the wheel. Best move I ever made. I use it in emergencies with a carbon pad just to polish but otherwise it stays in the stand. Also no skimmer. I do weekly 5 gal WC, 20-25# LR, 4" sand bed and everyone is happy and healthy.

Thanks for the tips, I will get rid of skinner and wheel and do my water water changes
Every week.

Happy New Year

Back