Protein Skimmer - Which one!

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by tboyd, Mar 19, 2009.

1. tboyd

tboyd

Hi all,

I am just waiting to get glass back from glass cutter and I am putting together my sump. My current skimmer will be too small for tank once i add the sump so I am upgrading, but confused at the different types of skimmers.

I am looking at a octopus, but which type is best? Vortex, Classic, Hurricane, Downdraft, X-range, Beckette or Core range.

also my total water volume will be approx 450litres. Is it better to get one that will do up to 500ltrs or 800ltrs?

I have spent the last several hours trying to decide which one to buy. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Tania

tboyd, Mar 19, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. tboyd

daugherty part time reefer

1. Advertisements

3. tboyd

tboyd

The only skimmer that I can find like that here in Australia is a core unit which cost around $600.00 AUD a lot of money.. Octopus Corex.jpg . Is there that much difference between the core and say a vortex Vortex_800_TN.jpg which cost around $300 AUD. Should I be paying the extra or will a vortex do the job?

tboyd, Mar 19, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question