Protein Skimmer

MoLaw

Reefing newb
I think I asked the same question a little while back. With the same options I think (are you looking at dr. fosters and smith?) And everyone said go with the coralife super skimmer, otherwise another popular choice they suggested was octapus skimmers. But I went with the 125 gallon super skimmer for my 55 gallon tank and sump.

Thanks man, that was the way I was leaning anyway. It seems like I remember reading that thread now that you mentionit. It is just that I have read so much stuff on saltwater aquariums lately it is getting all jumbled up. Thanks again!!

Frank

Yeah so far I like the super skimmer I got, its pretty quiet under my stand, and if you have a 55 gal stand like me, then im sure you dont have a lot of room underneath it, and the 125 gallon model fits just right sitting on the side of my sump, if your sump is taller then just submerge it, there is equipment and instructions for doing both. Also thanks! I got my first thanks since ive been here! I'm starting to be a productive member of the community! woo hoo!

I am not as familiar with the Turbofloater or Terminator skimmers. Many people on here have the Coralife Super Skimmers and love them -- after the break-in period. I guess the biggest complaint I have heard about Coralifes is how long it takes to get them broken in and how touchy they are. But if you get them going, they work really well.

Like Hotimportknight said, I also really like the Octopus brand. I recently bought one for my 240 gallon tank, and it performs like crazy. They are also relatively inexpensive.

With the superskimmer as long as biff is here, how long should it take to break in? And how long till I start seeing the collection cup fill up with foam? I have my microbubbles set to a level about 2 inches below the top of the collection cup and still no real foam, just some condensation. My tanks only a little under a month old, is it normal for it to not be collecting anything yet?

you should see foam rather quickly
how long have you had the Super skimmer running?
Is there any Fish inverts in the tank yet?
after all, a skimmer is just a big POOP vac.

Here is the nog ( skimmate ) i deal with. It smells like :pooh:
IMG00086.jpg

Thanks again guys (and Biff) for the wealth of information. I will probably get the SuperSkimmer then, i am also looking forward to the answer to Hotimportknight's question.

I have the CSS 125 and think it is a great skimmer. I have read that the terminator is a great skimmer but never seen it in action. I hav'nt read anything about the other though.

You cant go wrong with the super skimmer.
You have to be careful about setting them up and adjusting them fro the break in period to keep from flooding the floor.But after that,you'll love it.

Alright, just so happens that today I look under my stand and I got my first brown foam accumulating! I have 3 fish, a cleaner shrimp, 5 nassarius snails, a small horseshoe crab, and 3 small hermits. Its been running for about a week now, and today is the first day I noticed its gathering brown foam.

the Octopus skimmers are great also. one of my LFS's actually recommends them if you dont want to go with a high end, high priced skimmer.

My LFS has been using Octopus skimmers on all their display tanks for the last year and a half, and actually recommend them over the higher priced brands.

when i get about $100 extra (and we all know hard that is to come by in this hobby) you guys are going to see the new and improved "FRANKENSKIMMER" !!

double recirculating, 6" neck BEAST !!

now back to your regularly scheduled insanity ...

Back