Protein skimmers for 29G?

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
I'm looking for a decent protein skimmer that will fit in one of the back compartments in my 29gall biocube tank. The dimensions on the cube are a little weird... and I know they make one specifically for the biocube, but the LFS was a little skeptical about it. What do you guys suggest? & how necessary is the skimmer, in general, for a tank this size?

The skimmers that go in the back of those Bio-Cubes are pretty much junk.There just way to small.I dont of any other skimmer that will fit in there either.
With those tanks,your best bet is regular water changes of 15 to 20%.

Last edited:
The skimmers that go in the back of those Bio-Cubes are pretty much junk.There just way to small.I dont of any other skimmer that will fit in there either.
With those tanks,your best bet is regular water changes of 15 to 20%.

Thanks yote, you just saved me $40 + shipping! I have the JBJ 29G, and I've heard mediocre 'at best' reviews of it's custom skimmer abilities.

Thanks for the question, Tankedchemist! I'm in the same boat, I've heard people suggest the HOB varieties, such as AquaC remora, but I cannot offer any comment on them!
I know this post is 5 months old but good luck, and if you find out something good, let me know please!:D

I have been told by ndepratt that the aqua C remoras are good skimmers. Based on his recomendation, that is the one that I am saving up for right now.

I also have a 29 gallon. Just a regular tank not a bio cube.

Brian

Red Sea tanks with the built in skimmer have the same problem. They have redone it though to fix the problems. Biocube should follow suit.

I see that AquaC makes a Nano skimmer, fits in most cube compartments. Hmmmmm
Like a mini remora? Thanks all!

Back