Protein Skimmers...which is good for a 150 gallon tank

mcazurin

Reefing newb
hey guys...im starting a new reef tank....wats a good protein skimmer? i really dont wanna spend too much money. so wats best for a 150 gallon tank?

If your running a sump with refugium you could prolly get away with an ok skimmer but if your not running a sump with refugium i would invest in a very good HOB (Hang On Back of tank) protein skimmer. Just my opinion.

Your question is a little vague...how much is too much?

Coralife SS 220 is good decent skimmer at a reasonable price...it can be use HOB or in sump.

I like the Euro-reef,ASM,Aqua C EV, and Octopus skimmers.

Hay reef did you see that css's raised there price by about 50.00 on all there skimmers? wounder were the jump came from. If you set your overflows up to a sump deffinetly get a insump skimmer, everything I have read says in sump skimmers are by far better than any HOB skimmer.

No Bobby I didn't see that...ok maybe not such a good deal anymore.I'm going to assume its because of the demand/popularity.If thats true,I would definitely look into the ASM or Octopus skimmers for in sump.

Well
I was going to agree and say corallife SS ,but if they went up that much,then go with one of the Reef suggested.

Yea I was on another forum that people were talking about the css going up about 50.00 so I checked and sure enough they did. Everyone was saying there not worth it now because there are better ones for the same price or maybe alittle higher, and that there main selling point was there very good for the price.

I checked the price out on the Coralife SS..yep they did raise the price.

199.99...Octopus Needlewheel(rated up to 200gal.)
207.99...Corallife Super Skimmer 220(rated up to 220gal.)

I would go with the Octopus Needlewheel...even better would be the dual recirculating needlewheel for $100 more.

(BTW,according to ASM website the ASM line is being phase out in favor of the Octopus line of skimmers)

I would recommend the CPR cy-294 wet dry. a complete sump with two built in skimmers. Check out CPR. just another line you might consider. more bang for the total bucks spent. Im running one on my 150.

jhnrb said:
I would recommend the CPR cy-294 wet dry. a complete sump with two built in skimmers. Check out CPR. just another line you might consider. more bang for the total bucks spent. Im running one on my 150.

this looks like a good filter...is the overflow bos Hang on the BACK? i dont need to drill holes in my tank do i? is this like a protein skimmer?

The Cy-294 is a wet dry filter and protein skimmers built in. it comes with the skimmer pumps. it provides for two return lines. you will need to purchase a return pump (external), an overflow HOB or drill tank. There is a bit more cost involved but the qualify is good and I have used this product for some years. personally I prefer the drilled tank vs the overflow. If you are not going to have internal overflows then HOB is the way to go. the Cy-294 will handle a total gph of 1200 + apprx. There is a filter chamber, and bulkheads for connection to pump for return.
Hope this helps - CPR AQUATIC, INC - Cyclone Bio-Filters

Last edited:
Back