Protien Skimmer Day only?

GSIMER

Reefing newb
We have our 37gal tank in the bedroom and was wondering if it would be ok to run the skimmer only durring the day (easier to sleep)? HOw but if I started to get some corals and anemonies?

i run mine only 8 to 10 hrs a day...mostly at nigth..so i wont over skimm my tank ...so i guess is ok to run it only by day..

I think it'd be risky, but that also depends on your bioload. You could try it out and see if your water parameters stay good. If water quality starts to go down, then you know you need to run it more.

you could run a skimmer only during the day but keep in mind that it is a big source for taking those unwanted Nitrates outta your water so i would test for the Nitrates on a regular basis to make sure there not getting to high. personaly i think they should be ran almost all day if not all day:twocents:

The only time I ever turn my skimmers off is when I feed.I'll usually just leave them off for a couple of hours so that the corals and little micro critters have a better change of getting to eat.

What skimmer are you running on your tank? If its a good one then it would probably be fine if its a no good one like the seaclone I would keep it on, but then again it all depends on your bio load and if you keep up with regular water changes. On your size tank if the bio load is not that high and you do normal water changes I think it would be more than fine, however, I would watch the perameters like biff said if you try. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Keep in mind that at night oxygen levels tend to go down and the skimmer is a main source of oxygenation for the system a long with the gas exchange at the water surface. good luck. skimmers will run on my system 24/7 but they are not in the bedroom. run your skimmer as long as possible and shut down as little as possible to facilitate your sleep time if you must but test water parameters in the morning to see what is going on. keep us posted.

Bifferwine said:
You should also definitely have pH, alkalinity, and nitrate. If you have corals, you should have calcium as well.

At the very least.But I would go ahead and pick up a phosphate kit too.

Back