protien skimmer or not that is the Qauestion.

chross12

Reefing newb
I have a 45 gallon bowfront with a fluval 305, 2 -36inch t-5 lights and my Q is do I need the protien skimmer? Also have 50 lbs of figi. I have been told aqua c hang on type w/mag 3 pump? Thanks for any feedback.

The protein skimmer will be much better than the Fluval. If I were you, I'd get the Remora (Aqua C hang on back skimmer) or an Octopus hang on back skimmer and ditch the Fluval altogether. Those types of filters really don't do much for saltwater tanks, and in fact can worsen your water quality.

I've seen some nice skimmerless tanks, so it can be done. But IMHO, skimmers are the way to go and the closest to nature. See that foam that washes up on the beach as the waves come in? Nature's protein skimmer! :D

Thanks for all the help, Can I run the tank without a fluval? I understand that there are three types of filters mech,biol,and chem, the fluval is supose to be all 3? I think the wet/dry deal with the tank drilled is the way to go khowever for rental, and commercial I think I am limited to the canister or the bio wheel. However if you can just hang a good protien skimmer on then I dont need the fluval or anyother type?

Of course you can run the tank without the Fluval. Like I said before, your tank will be better off without the Fluval. Wet/dry filters require a lot of maintenance as well. A better alternative is to use a sump instead. You should not be limited to a canister filter or biowheel, both of which are not very useful for saltwater.

Like I said, protein skimmer and live rock will be all you need. 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon of your tank size. No biowheel, no fluval, no canister, none of that useless junk. Just a protein skimmer and live rock.

canister filters are ideal in freshwater tanks, not so much in our salty tanks.

water chemistry and tank inhabitants are different that makes canisters a liablility and skimmers much more effective at filtering the waste out of the water.

ditch the canister and pick up a octo 100

Yep you will be fine, I have an 80 gallon tank that runs with only a skimmer and live rock. and my 12 gallon nano only uses live rock (I do need to do more water changes without a skimmer, and I would not recommend this in a larger aquarium)

fluvals will just harbor bad nutrients and create more maintenance for you.

I have a 75 that has been up for over 1 year and every month I clean out the flu405 and it's full of ...stuff for lack of a better word. Where will all that stuff go if not for a fltre of some type; the protien skimmer?

ok im lost know. i thought that a Can setup with a good skimmer was a good way to go. so another words, i thought (for exp) a Flu 305 or 405 did the same as a Sump. is that not correct, because i was going to run on my 40g reef with a Flu 305 or 405 and a nice protein skimmer and NO SUMP.

No, a sump does something totally different. A sump adds water volume (which helps dilute out the waste) and keeps your equipment out of sight. A sump is still preferable over a Fluval filter.

Back