protien skimmers releasing tons of tiny bubbles in my tank.

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
Ive had my seaclone protien skimmer running for the last 6 month with no problems. About a month ago, out of nowhere it began releasing tons of tiny bubbles into my tank. So I took it all apart and cleaned every thing and changed 50% of my water..... no change. Ive tried keeping the valve all the way open for a couple days.... no change. I have tried the keeping the valve closed for a couple days..... no change. Right now I have the valve adjusted the way its supposed to and Im letting it run. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

well i wasn't very familiar with seaclone skimmers so i did a search and came across this link in another forum, WetWebMedia is a awesome site with lots of good info. I would stick threw it and read the entire page. hopefully it'll help you out with your problem. SeaCloneSkimFAQs

P.S. BTW welcome to the forums. :)

Last edited:
Some skimmers have a foam or sponge defuser that is supposed to keep the oxygenated bubbles from messing up your tank. It is most likely air bubbles and will not harm anything, but they will look funky. If your skimmer has a defuser, is it attached or did it float off? Do you have a sump? I have my skimmer in my sump and there are bubbles released into my sump, but they are gone by the time the return pump sends the cleaned water back into the tank. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks to all for your help. After reading the forums on these skimmers and then calling the manufacturer we may have found the problem. I hooked up the skimmer to my 24gal nano and had no reaction. Which leaves me to believe that something (one of the supplements) in my tank is having a reaction with the skimmer. I have never had this problem befor but, after reefing for a while I have seen crazyer:pooh: happen. Im leaving town for the week so im going to leave the valve closed and let the tank run its course. If it continues when I get back Ill do a complete water change.

most medications create a "foaming" effect, like melafix and pimafix. If you added something like that, it will foam over for a long time.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Stuff thats supposed to help the fishes slime coats will make a skimmer go crazy too.
I wouldn't do a complete water change.Just got 20% and see what happens.
I have a seaclone 100 on my 30 that goes crazy when ever I feed,or have to stick my hands in the tank.Shoot,it'll throw micro-bubbles for an hour after a water change.
You might try adjusting the air so that you have a bubble in the tube that runs from the pump to the reaction chamber,that might help.

Back