protien skimmers

chez

Reefing newb
I’m looking for a good skimmer any suggestions? Thinking of getting the ASM G-5 for a 300 gallon tank, I use to have a euro reef CS 12 but the euro reefs are too expensive.

I Love my ASM skimmers. They are very easy to adjust and they stay adjusted. The newer ASM's have upgraded there pumps, but thats all that they needed to change.

check out premium aquatics or aquacave.
new octopus cone skimmer coming out octopus 2000
extreme octopus are good skimmers
vertex are good skimmers( i got vertex 180)

these are probally best skimmers out for affordable price.

cone skimmers seem to be the best way to go
octopus cone skimmer
msx or swc cone skimmer
warner marine cone skimmer K2
ATB cone skimmers (coslty)
vertex alpha cone skimmers
bk supermarin(pricey)

What is a cone skimmer? Did some reading on them last night for the first time…so what I got from it is that the cone reduces turbulence in the skimmer. Didn’t see what was the great value of that…so if someone can explain it to me in layman terms that would be wonderful.

bubble plates in skimmers reduce turbulance and smooth transition up the neck into cup(cone) and tons more air for proteins to attach to which octo cone will have 50scfh of air. Standard octopus skimmer pulls maybe 10 to 15 scfh of air kinda like a asm also.
my vertex 180 pulls 32 scfh of air which is good, but 50 scfh is awesome more air flow the proteins getting removed and smooth transition up skimmer body to large 4.5 to 5.5 inch neck meens less turbulant flow old skimmers have 1.5 to 2.5 inch neck.

of course lots of these are expensive so the new octopus 2000 cone with be most affordable mainly cause its a chinese copy from the good skimmers.

Cool thanks, now one more thing…What does scfh mean? I was looking at the octopus (Reef Octopus Super XP 2000 Cone Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave ) but it not big enough it’s only rated at 250 gallons. My total water volume is about 500 gallons with the refugium (100 gal) and my sump (150 gal); minus live rocks I know that should displace some of the water . Do you think that since I’m looking at having about 400lbs of live rock that I may be able to drop down to about 250 gallon skimmer?

SCFH is standard cubic feet per hour. It's a measure of the flow rate of air/gas.

How much do you want to spend? We can recommend a good skimmer based on your budget.

I’m looking to spend about $500 for the skimmer, but it seems everything cost way more than that for a system my size.

there is another brand on equipment forum at reef central that have affordable brand cone skimmers called i-tech skimmers supposed to be real nice also.

Last edited:
Back