Proud father?

Discussion in 'Corals' started by scubacane, Jul 16, 2008.

1. scubacane

scubacane

Checking on my tank this evening I noticed a small bulb of my frogspawn- just one polyp- nestled in an old shell in the corner of my tank. At first I was worried that maybe one of the peppermint shrimp I put in the tank a few weeks ago to control my apitasia problem had attacked the main frogspawn- they have nicely cleared the apitasia totally and I fear they may be looking for an alternative food although I havent seen them show any interest in my corals-I then started thinking that this polyp may be a bud dropped off the mother coral? Any thoughts?

scubacane, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. scubacane

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Usually frogspawn reproduce and grow by splitting.I,ve not heard of one dropping babies.What else do you have that might be budding?

yote, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. scubacane

joeman MorphingSquid

Interesting that you mention the Pepermint shrimps... I had this happen twice: when I added a new Tourch Coral I caught one of the Peppermint's with it's claws deep down into the coral. I hit it with a big stick, but it kept going back. I kept pushing it away... as I watched it eventually got stung (it jumped right back away from the coral) and I never saw it near the coral again. But following this there were little pieces of the coral flesh on the ground (much like you describe) - they looked alive and healthy so i though 'cool' but they didn't last long :-(
    Yote (of course :)) is correct, these LPS corals will grow / reproduce by dividing (a great split appears through it's mouth.. quite unnerving the first time you see it)

joeman, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question