Pry Maxima Clam Loose

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I had my clam in a shell so I could move him about more easily in the tank buy he broke through the shell and has begun to attach himself to a large rock. How can I --safely-- pry him loose?

I have heard you could use the backside (the dull edge) of a butter knife or similar and they will retract their foot. You want to be very careful since a damaged foot could be fatal.

^^^That is for anenomes, for the byssal threads of clams you are better off using screwdriver or some other implement to chip away the rock underneath them. You can cut the byssal thread but you can fatally damage the clam in the process. Just make sure you stay very close to the rock and as far away from the byssal gland as you can.

Why do you need to move the clam?

I have heard you could use the backside (the dull edge) of a butter knife or similar and they will retract their foot. You want to be very careful since a damaged foot could be fatal.

^^^That is for anenomes, for the byssal threads of clams you are better off using screwdriver or some other implement to chip away the rock underneath them. You can cut the byssal thread but you can fatally damage the clam in the process. Just make sure you stay very close to the rock and as far away from the byssal gland as you can.

Why do you need to move the clam?

OK just got confused:mrgreen:

Just cut its foot with a razor blade as close to where its attached to the rock as possible. It will be just fine as long as you don't tear the foot.

It could be for anything from asthetics to having an invasive neighbor ie anemone to having a pyramid snail infestation. Might be a the flow in the tank is irritating it and not allowing for full mantel expansion. People move stuff in their tanks all the time...

+1 RyanG. Sometime you just need to move things to a more suitable location for the health and survival of the specific livestock. Or you may not like the location or look of where it is.

Back