Puffed Up Eye Problem Spreading

swiftwind

Reefing newb
I have 3Bicolor Anthias amongst other things. Two are definitely a pair. The third we actually "lost" for a week when relocating the tank and it didn't look like it would survive. Then about a week ago one of them got a really puffed up eye. A few days later two of them have puffy eyes.

Obviously the two are sick and should be taken out and flushed but we haven't caught them yet.
My question is how serious is this problem in terms of likelyness to spread to the other species of fish and need to get the sick fish out immediately.

Attachments

• DSC03825b.JPG
    DSC03825b.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC03830b.JPG
    DSC03830b.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 301
It will probably be more stressful to catch and treat them than to just let them fight it on their own. As long as they are still eating they have a pretty good chance of fighting it off on their own.

Try a big water change. I have samller tanks and its easier to do a 50% change -I do them all the time and it always helps even with bacterial problems.

Obviously the two are sick and should be taken out and flushed but we haven't caught them yet.
My question is how serious is this problem in terms of likelyness to spread to the other species of fish and need to get the sick fish out immediately.

[/quote]

Flushed? Why not stick them in a microwave if you are giving up on them just give them a stomp it's quicker:twocents:

I'd like to keep them if they aren't likely to cause all the other fish to get sick and die too. From a purely money point of view I'd rather lose a pair of 2 inch fish than the 8 inch ones. I'd never seen a fish going from lopsided to the point of not being able to swim to fully healthy again. If that's more common in salt tanks that's great.

The bacteria is already in your tank, removing the fish isnt going to remove the infection. Just keep your fish in a low stress, healthy environment and feed the best quality of food you can, that is your best bet in both curing and preventing infections and other diseases.

About 6 weeks ago I had an issue with ich that later developed into a bacteria problem for my large tang. I tried a reef safe product called "Rally" and to my surprise the bacteria issue was resolved within a few days and there has been no return now. Turns the water to a tintish green which was nerve wracking but everyone else seemed fine and the tang came out clean by the end of the dosing period of three days. My fish were always eating so this I'm sure played a major role. Good luck!

Back