puffer

margaritaville

Reefing newb
hey all,
just looking for some advice.
I purchased a small puffer on thursday, after putting him in the tank noticed one of his fins almost completely missing, which i guess is common during shipping with other puffers. He has been in the tank since thursday and still isnt eating, ive tried 4 different frozen foods including brine shirmp and squid
and most of the time just hangs out near the top of the water by the skimmer pre filter or under my my main filter dosnt really swim around. when i turn the lights off he sometimes moves around more but he just seems too lazy? any advice would be great thanks.

No he is not lazy.U are going to have to get him eating .Call the LFS were u got him see what the feed him.U may even have to introduce some live food to get him back to eating ,then get him back to eating freeze dried and frozen.Puffers are the BEST I had one back in the FO days . Watch him closely they are subject to get ick too. The one I had would let u pet him like a little puppy dog.Do not leave him on live food if u have to do this .It's not a good diet for them.Lionfish are the same they are my favorite too. Which puffer did U get .

My puffer used to lay on the bottom of the tank all day till it was time to feed him, he was a stars and stripes puffer.

Diodon Holocanthus/ Spiny Puffer (porcupinefish, Balloon Porcupinefish)

VARIED DIET OF MEATY FOODS, INCLUDING CHOPPED SHRIMP, SQUID, CLAMS, ENRICHED KRILL, AND FISH - AS WELL AS PREPARATIONS DESIGNED FOR HERBIVORES. FEED AT LEAST 3 TIME A DAY.

THIS SPECIES IS NOCTURNAL AND MAY SPEND MOST OF THE DAY HIDING UNDER A LEDGE OR IN A CREVICE. LIKE OTHER PUFFERS IN GENERAL, IT IS PRONE TO ICH, MAY NEED DEWORMING. (good luck)

Last edited:
try some live brine for now.Also JNHRB said they are nocturnal so may be add the brine at night.If all else fells maybe use a QT tank to get healthy and eating the the brine then switch to some frozen or your own blended mix.
good luck with you new addition

Back