Pulsing Xenia

RobC

Reefing newb
Hi,
I placed 2 polyps of Pulsing Xenia in my 58 gal reef aquarium approx. 1 month ago. They took off great doubling in the first 3 weeks. Then I went away for a week (and had someone else attend to the tank). Since I've been back they look quite shriveled and are not pulsing near like before. I use Kent Marine PytoPlex and Coral-Vite. The only other coral I have is a Leather Coral, and it's doing well.
Any ideas?

Xeniidae (xenia sp) No direct feeding is neccessary. if the best conditions are not supplied, pulser corals frequently stop pulsing shrink and die.; Other Xenids, such as Anthelia glauca are far more reliable and will even multiply under optimum conditions. following are water conditions for xenia:

tank size 40 gal min.
ph 8.2 - 8.3
temp 77 - 79 (25-26C)
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
spedcific gravity 1.021 - 1.026
dissolved oxygen - 7- 8 ppm
calcium - 400 - 450
phosphates - 0
KH - 7 dkh
redox potential 350 - 400
mh at 6500K
continuous photo period of 12 hours
good water turbulence is essential.
trickle filter with excellent water circulation, efficient protein skimming with add ozone, use the highest quality activated carbon filtration.
water change - either 15-20 percent per fortnight without fail or a constant water change system. reverse osmosis or deionized water recommended (toxins in mains water usually prove fatal) use only finest quality salt.
Nearly all health problems are associated with poor water quality.

hope something here helps. good luck keep us posted.

Thanks for the info.
The only chemistry somewhat different from your numbers is;
Calcium - 375 mg/l
Kh - 15 and
Temp which normally runs aroung 80.5. I just can't seem to get it any lower and have knocked the lighting back to about 9 hours/ day.
I did another water change today. I'll wait till morning and see if they improve.

I would say that you are probably fighting a double edged sword.

They need the brighter light, but defenitly like cooler water.

I commonly frag pieces of what some refer to as pom pom xenia which thrives in my tank at 77 degrees, but melts away everytime i give a piece to the local petstore that run at 81.

So if you are shortening your lighting cycle you are taking away the corals food because they need light to make the food, but warmer water isn't good either..

Try adding a large fan at the top of the water or on a sump... Maybe a chiller would help also, but they are pricey....

Just my :twocents: good luck and try adding a fan or leaving the canopy open if you have one.

Brandon

my frag is in the clam tank ans isn't for sell to the best of my knowledge..

that 100 dollar frag is the one reefer noob gave them.

Hey Chris... Long time no see...........

This person with all the xenia............ They run it in their refugiumas a nutrient export?

Hey all yes the xenia man is me.... :frustrat:

I run my tank at 81 and have both the elongated and pom pom growing out the ears. The pom pom grows a little slower though. I fragged probably 30 frags of great size in July ad got rid of basically all of them. I now have about 10 frags and am about to be overran again in the main. Probably another 30 frags to do....

At least I get decent money for it now...well credit......Thanks God Bermuda is so high...I think...

ice packs

i have been having problems keeping my tank cool because were having a really hot summer. i was adviced by my local fishshop i fill plastic bottels with water and freeze them once frozen float them in the water.

i use 500ml bottels and 1 bottel will drop th tank temp about 0.5degrees C. before it melts. as the bottels are sealed they dont effect the water chemstiry.

hope this helps with the temp problem

Back